Author Topic: Water Valve Failure  (Read 4418 times)

Randy Perry

Water Valve Failure
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
Headed south to Oceanside for the weekend, and once I hooked up the water, I sprung a leak!  The hot water valve to the washing machine in the water cabinet failed/broke.  With the valve broken, any water pressure (city water or the coach pump) shot out from the open valve, which left me without water to the coach period!!  I was able to find a mobile RV repair guy who just happened to have what I needed, and I was back in buisness!  So has anybody had this issue?  Do I need to find replacement valves and stock up?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:20:46 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Water Valve Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:55:24 AM »
Randy,
A broken water valve like you mentioned in your previous post is rare unless the coach has been stored in freezing weather without being properly winterized. This type of valve failure is almost always caused by freeze damage. Therefore the need for spare valves will correlate to the amount of freeze damage that the coach will be exposed to in the future or the freeze damage that already exist that has not failed yet.

Gerald.

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »
Hey Gerald,
Well, since I'm in So. Cal and I was told the pervious owner lived in Arizona, I'm hoping it was a one and only valve failure  ;)

Thanks!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »
Quote from: Randy Perry
Do I need to find replacement valves and stock up?
There is a company named Watts that makes plastic push on fittings and valves for the PEX plumbing used in our motorhomes.  Most Lowes stores seem to stock them.  No plumbing skill is required.  Nor are crimping tools.  Watts makes it as easy as putting legos together.  With a handful of spares, a couple feet of extra PEX and a plastic tubing cutter you can fix almost any plumbing leak in a minute or two, even in tight and cramped spaces.   Yes, I do have them in the spares box.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:36 AM »
Great tip Bill, thank you.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad