Author Topic: Recommendations for service in Bend, OR  (Read 10947 times)

JimCasazze

Recommendations for service in Bend, OR
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »
We will be in Bend in approx 30 days.  I realize that BCS is highly recommended, but would like input on other possible "reputable" repair options in case BCS is too busy or perhaps not the best for a certain type of work.

Here are some of the issues we want to address:
1) minor leak in hydraulic line for slide/jacks, apparently somewhere in the basement
2) Minor body work, hinge adustments, touch-ups, loose section of body molding, re-spray roof radius
3) Slide (kitchen) roller repair/adjustment - possible seal replacement
4) Check ride height of suspension
5) Slow leak in air system (pressure won't hold more than one day anymore - used to stay 4-5 days after turning off engine)

Normally I'd chase these down and do some of them myself - but since we in Beaver territory I think it would be nice to have the experts do some of the work if it's reasonable enough.

Thanks
Jim

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Recommendations for service in Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
coachmasters in Bend.  Dont have the number on hand, Google or PM me.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
Jim,
Advantage RV is across the street from BCS (Beaver Coach Sales). It is owned and operated by Tom Halter, a former BCS service manager and Beaver factory worker. It is a fairly new shop, but I have only heard good reports so far.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
A very long time friend (and new member of the BAC) was in Bend with his Monaco Windsor that had automatic leveling issues.   I  gave him BCS and Advantage phone numbers.  At random he picked Advantage.  He reported back that he got the problem fixed, Tom was easy to work with and he was surprised that it is a one man show in a very small shop.   At the time, Tom had no employees.  

About the same time, I had been fighting a rattle in the suspension system.  Two other shops had looked at it in 2 years and failed.   BCS had the staff and experience identify the problem.  Using the biggest torque wrench I've ever seen, they shimmed and tightened up the ends on some radius rods (I think!) and charged me for two hours labor and no parts.  

BCS is big with specialized techs from suspension to paint.  Advantage is small with one (or maybe two) doing it all.

Another difference is the amazing parts supply at BCS.   There is a reasonable chance that they will have trim pieces and slide rollers for a '99, if they are needed.  

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
Quote from: Keith Moffett
coachmasters in Bend.  Dont have the number on hand, Google or PM me.
I have no experience with Coach Masters.  I do have experience with Beaver Coach sales and know Tom Halter, the owner of Advantage, from when he was a service manager at Monaco, and later BCS.  

Both Beaver Coach Sales and Advantage support the BAC and, therefore this forum, with advertising.  Coach Masters does not.  

As a three time rally master, current Director and probably future VP of the club, I recommend the two that support this club.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
Quote from: ]
1) minor leak in hydraulic line for slide/jacks, apparently somewhere in the basement
[/quote

Jim--

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this "minor" leak will probably require the replacement of both hoses going to your main slide from the pump at the rear.  For some period of time around 1999-2000 Beaver used hoses rated at 2500 psi when the proper rating should have been >5,000 psi.  There are quite a few of us on this forum who have had this same problem.  The repair cost for mine was ~$1000 of which half that amount was the cost of the new hose.

Joel

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
I would not bad mouth either BCS or Advantage but have been a CoachMaster's (541-330-6863) customer for all 12 years of owning our Marquis ... full paint job, dash AC repair, brake job, hardwood flooring installed, etc. ... and have always been very satisfied with their work and for a fair price.  And Scott Maier as well as Paul FUller stand behind work and repairs.

Glenn Perkins

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
You may want to try BAC's newest sponsor, Bend RV Repair, 62980 Boyd Acres Rd. Bend, OR  Phone: 541-388-5448.  I have had them service my coach for about 15 years.  They are honest and reliable.

When the slide hydraulic hoses leaked on my '98 Patriot, I rerouted new hoses myself for about $250 in parts, while on the road in an RV park.  Just remember to measure at least twice before you buy the new hoses and fittings.

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
I have no experience with Coach Masters.  I do have experience with Beaver Coach sales and know Tom Halter, the owner of Advantage, from when he was a service manager at Monaco, and later BCS.  

Both Beaver Coach Sales and Advantage support the BAC and, therefore this forum, with advertising.  Coach Masters does not.  

As a three time rally master, current Director and probably future VP of the club, I recommend the two that support this club.  

I absolutely agree.  We must do all we can to support those that support us.  I believe the original question was "If I am unable to use BCS, then who"?  I have not used Advantage but I have used Coachmasters.  For this reason I have also tried to get them to become part of the BAC family.  Still working on that.  Coachmasters uses BCS as well for parts and referals.  They were the first to direct me to BCS on my first trip to Bend.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

JimCasazze

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies.  Joel, I expect you are right about the problem but was hoping otherwise.  Larry, how big a job was it and did you need any special tools?

In any case, it is good to have choices, so I appreciate the referrals etc.  Regarding those entities that support the club, I would certainly choose to use them as long as they do quality work at "competitive" prices over a non-supporting entity.   This may not always be the case, as I have met and talked with an East Coast club supporting service center that I would not use to work on my coach.

Any specific comments, please email me directly.  Thank you

Jim

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:25:19 AM »
I would recommend Bend RV Repair.  We had a lot of work done there this spring and are more than happy with Jeff's work ethic and prices.  He can do all the jobs you mentioned above and he should now be a supporter of BAC as I had him in touch with Tim and Diana Bentley.  If BCS can't do the work, try Jeff.  I think you will be more than happy.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Greg Kamper

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:51 AM »
I know this is an old post, but I used it to look for info to see about getting my coach repaired. I just got back from Bend yesterday. My kids were off from school this week for Easter break. I'm and old dad so my schedule is usually formed around our 3 small kids school calendar. I first tried BCS to repair my coach, then Tom at Advantage. They were both booked up but Tom also recommended Coachmasters. Coachmasters was able to shuffle a few of their jobs around and fit me in. They repaired my leaking hoses in the storage bay, and even fished the new lines in and removed the old lines. They also did it in less time than originally quoted, so I was able to afford even more repairs! They fixed my hurricane, re-sealed my door(the wind noise was unbearable) re-charged me dash AC, Fixed a faulty water pump ground. They also gave me some good advice about my coach's driving/handling issues. On their test drive to check out the wind noise they confirmed that I wasn't a bad coach driver, my coach was hard to drive. They suggested that I check the air pressure because they thought the tires might be over inflated... I checked and they were. I maintained them too high because the tire guys set them that high when I put on new tires. My drive home from Bend made me feel like I had a new motor home. The wind noise was all but gone, the coach drove nice, it didn't swerve all over from ever little breeze or rut in the road, and when I got back in the Central Valley in Ca, my dash AC worked for the first time since I owned the coach. I'm a Happy Kamper now for sure!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Carol Moffett

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
Greg, I'm so glad to hear that you had such a good experience with Coachmasters!  We have used them in the past and were happy with them, also!
Cheers!
Carol    :^3=
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 11:05:31 PM »
We were refered to Coachmasters by some local folks that had used them.  This was back when we first got our first Beaver. 
We had had some work done by a local mechanic and he tried real hard but didnt have the MH backround.  There were things working intermittantly and clicking and clacking going on.  I had no idea but did get in at Coach masters.  Those guys had all the systems up and running in minutes. 
They did good work for us on several occasions .  We like the folks at BCS and they go way out of their way to support our club but Coachmasters is a good alternative.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Gerald Farris

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
For your information, Coach Masters of Bend is a BAC commercial member, and as such they have been supporting BAC for years through their dues payments. Their contact information is in the BAC directory. 

Gerald