Author Topic: My refrigerator won't switch to gas  (Read 8192 times)

Richard Cooper

My refrigerator won't switch to gas
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
Early last month my refrigerator went dead and I took the coach in to a RV dealer/repair center.  They replaced an electrical panel on the outside (through panel).  I can't recall if it was working on gas prior to this or not.  I just never noticed.  

But, the "check" light is on.  Freezer and refrigerator are both working fine.  I'm on AC right now.  Works fine when rolling down the road or when generator is on.  But if coach is off and generator off and no power from outside, all lights at top of refrigerator are off.  

Manually switching to gas using controls above refrigerator produces nothing.

Gas is on --- for stovetop as I used it the other day for cooking.

This condition has been known by me for several weeks and I'm just now thinking about getting it fixed.

How should I approach this?  I'm currently parked at a campground next to Camping World.  Should I get them to check this out or is it something I can do myself?

I have the Dometic model NDR-1492.

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: My refrigerator won't switch to gas
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »
Richard,

You probably have done this but is your lp gas detector on and functioning?  I had to replace mine with similar symptoms.

Check the stove again and make sure it lights and stays on if not it is the detector.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »
My LP gas detector is on and the yellow light blinks continuously.  

My gas stove top works.  I cooked an omelet just the other day.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:35 AM »
Maybe check the burner for dirt dobers on the outside blocking the gas nozzle.  All I can think of.  Maybe Gerald will respond with a better thought.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:21 AM »
Richard,
There is no simple answer to your question. To help you I need some questions answered. First, is there gas flow at the burner when the unit is first turned to "Gas"? Second, is the igniter arcing before the "Check" light comes on? Then if the answer to both of these questions is yes, what does the flame look like, and is the burner chamber unobstructed?

After these questions are answered, we will be able to narrow the problem down to a specific area, and be able to help you repair the problem.

Gerald

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
My fridge does'nt work good on gas while going down the road. It always warms up even it is set on the highest number. It works fine on gas when parked.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »
Tom,
If your refrigerator is mounted in a slide, where there is no vent out the roof but the intake and exhaust air for the refrigerator are both on the side wall, your problem is fairly common. The only way that I know to improve the condition is to mount 12V muffin fans at the exhaust vent to improve the ventilation of the compartment. However you have to be sure that the burner chamber does not get to much turbulence, because you can create a fire hazard.

Gerald

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:17:47 AM »
I have to say to all that I don't have any manuals that came with my motor coach.  Thus, this will be the reasons (partly) for my stupid questions.  But, I would like to know where I would find the gas burner for my refrigerator.  Is it on the outside?  I've opened that panel before, but really didn't know what all I was looking at.  I am a sad, sad case for a motor coach operator.   ??)

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Richard,

We all are, but your burner or at least mine was the panel outside.  You should have a special tool to remove.  I use my fingers and it works fine.  You will see the gas line and then the burner.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
I am happy to report that I got my refrigerator working on gas.  It was merely a matter of reading the instructions printed at the bottom inside the door of the frige.  I heard it light up.  I switched it back to ac.  Problem solved.

I've already left my coach on storage today while I took a quick trip home to Atlanta in the car.  I'm returning after Labor Day to resume travels in cooler mountains.

Dennis Kitchens

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Thats great news. So what you are saying is you turned the gas valve on all the way instead of 1/4 or 1/2?

Richard Cooper

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
I never touched the gas valve.  It is whatever it was already.  All I did was turn off the frige and wait a few seconds, turned on gas switch above frige door which lights up (a bulb type light, not a flame).

There was nothing wrong with my frige in the first place is what I'm trying to say.  All the problem was with me.  ;)

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 03:15:58 AM »
Richard -  are you using covered storage in Chattanooga?  I live between Atlanta and Chattanooga and am curious what options exist for covered storage in this area.

I've owned my 2002 Beaver for about a month and would love to find covered storage for it.

Thanks.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 04:05:12 AM »
Take a look at Dry Dock Boat-Rv storage in Acworth (drydockboatstorage.com)

Richard Cooper

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 04:39:20 AM »
I have temporary covered storage outside of Ringgold, GA (just off I-75).  You can contact me via private mail for more info.