Author Topic: Patio Awning: automatic retract test  (Read 9093 times)

Ron Langdon

Patio Awning: automatic retract test
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »
We have the G2000 patio awnings on our 2008 Patriot Thunder. We had the windsensors worked on at Bend Service Center in July.  Currently we are in Bellingham, Washington and experienced some strong winds.  My anxiety level went up when the awnings did not retract automatically, and I retracted the awnings (patio) manually (pushed the retract buttons).  Wind speed may not have been high enough and/or long enough (18mph sustained for 10 secs).  Does anyone have a test procedure for retracting the awnings? We spend the winters in the Palm Springs area and winds can come up unpredictably and suddenly.  I would like to have a higher degree of confidence in this system. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:32:47 PM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Patio Awning: automatic retract test
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
At the Redmond Rally a few years ago, Andre, the Girard awning rep, replaced our animometer (sp?).  To test it he just blew on it as hard as he could and it worked!  You might try that and if that doesn't work you may want to adjust it to a lower wind speed.
Good luck!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

George H. Wall

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
Might try a leaf blower pointed @ the animometer??  Henry

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
BCS in Bend tested ours by leaving it open a few inches and driving with it at speed until it closed sensing the speed at which that happened. The other test methods mentioned here would check the function but not the calibration. This test should not be an issue given the opening distance is not great and it is frontal wind only during the test.

I have replaced the old cup sensor with the newer more paddle like sensor and my impression is that the new sensor does not spin in the wind as redily as the old so I have some misgivings about the protection level. Not sure if anyone else has the same experience or if you have calibrated a new sensor and found that to be true. I have not calibrated or tried to adjust the new sensor level yet.

One suggestion short of the driving routine would be to note where the sensor adjustment is now and lower it (more sensitive) in increments until you are happy with the compromise. If you are really worried start at the most sensitive and work up.

Regards Ed
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:48:59 PM by 910 »

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Can anyone help me locate the control panel for the awning where the sensor would be adjusted?  Our '02 Monterey has the Girard with the wind sensing aninometer on the roof, but we have also noticed that it does not close as quickly in windy situations as we would like.  My problem is that I am not sure where the control panel is located in my coach.  The control switch is in the monitor panel compartment, but despite my searching, I have not been able to locate the control panel where adjustments would be made.  I assume it is behind a wall or in a compartment, but have not been able to locate it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
I have a second awning question.  Since owning our coach I have been unable to locate a remote control for the awning (I did find a white plastic mountable "sleeve" that appears to be something a remote would slide into for storage).  Were all of the Girard awning installed on Beaver coaches controllable by remote control?  If not, any idea how I can determine if my awning is remote controlable?  I assume I can obtain a replacement remote from Girard if my awning can be controlled this way.  Thanks.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Bill,
As far as I know all Girard patio awnings on Beaver coaches were equipped with a remote control. The best place to get all of your questions answered about your Girard awning is to call the Girard offices in California and talk to Andre. He can sell you a new remote and tell you what is necessary to program it to fit your coach.

The other option that you have is to see the Girard service team at an FMCA rally. Andre is usually there, or there will be one of their technicians there who can help you.

Gerald

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:15 PM »
I have a 98 Monterey and above the entry door is a panel and door that has the switches for opening/closing the awning and assorted other things. Behind that panel (removed by 4 screw) is the box for setting up the speed at which the awning closes. My awning does not seem to have a remote control, or at least I have not seen one.
Good luck
Arden Smith
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
The previous owner of our coach was a stickler for keeping everything and I have brochures for just about everything on it, but there was no Girard remote nor any literature indicating there ever had been.  I'm not sure why I would want or need one anyway; it's not all that difficult to press the buttons on the control panel.

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:55:20 AM »
I received the following email this evening from Kyle Johnston at Girard. I still have not found the control box, but once I do it will answer most of my questions.  Here's Kyle's email:

The answer to your question lies in the type of electronics used to operate the awning.  There should be a grey box about 6” x 4” x 2” usually located behind a panel in the overhead compartment not too far away from the motor side of the awning.  If you have a hard time locating the motor control box then you can describe the type of switch but the model of the box gives me the information I am looking for.

If the box says Wind Sensor II then the remotes are no longer available.  If the box says Wind Sensor V then you can add a remote control.  The part number is 9800131-00 and it costs $121.90 plus shipping.

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 04:36:12 AM »
The control box is usually near the switch and I believe most of those are over the entry door. Try following the wire from the switch. My coach did not have a remote and I was able to get one and have it programmed by BCS while I was there. It is handy when sitting outside and I installed the holder in the storage bay. BCS may have some of the older stock remotes if you run into that issue.

Later Ed

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
My faulty memory box tells me in 1998, only the Marquis had a remote for the Girard.  For some reason, my '98 Patriot had one, and it surprised the folks at Girard.  At some point, SMC may have started including a remote in all Beavers.  As I understand it, the control box needed to be built for a remote, or you could not add a remote later without changing the control box to work with a remote.

Larry

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
Ron,
Look in the bottom of the cabinet over the passenger's seat. In my Marquis that is where the control boxes are located. You will have to remove 4 small black screws from the plastic covering at the lower part of the cabinet. The box you are looking for is the ACMC controller. You can remove the screws from the top of the box and the electronics are inside.  BE CAREFUL THESE BOXES ARE 110-120 VOLTS so you might want to shut off the coach power before servicing.
There are two DIP switches in the box that control the wind speed sensor. If both switches are in the off position that is the lowest possible wind speed selection. There is noting else you can do to make it more sensitive. That is the 18 mph setting. The other combinations are 20,22,24mph.
I test mine using an air hose hooked to one of the coaches air ports or just to an air compressor.
Good Luck.
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15