Author Topic: Touch-up Paint  (Read 6294 times)

Joel Weiss

Touch-up Paint
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:55:29 AM »
Has anyone had any success in finding easily available touch-up paints for the original Diamont paints?  The previous owner of my coach provided me with some common auto touch-up paints but I'm not satisfied with the match on one of them.  Specifically I am looking for a touch-up paint for the gold base paint found on one version of the 2000 Thunder.  On my kitchen cabinet "official list" the color is shown as M5264A as part of the Wahkeena color scheme.  However, on the material provided to me by Industrial Finishes the color also seems that it possibly could also have the code M6091A.  The OP provided me a Toyota paint with color code 4Q5.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Touch-up Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »
When I had my coach at BCS they had touch up paint for all three colors on my coach. You might check with them.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »
Quote from: Larry Fisk
When I had my coach at BCS they had touch up paint for all three colors on my coach. You might check with them.

I just spoke to Scott in Parts today and he said that what they have to do is give the paint code to Industrial Finishes so they can mix up a small container.  I forgot to do this when I was in Bend a few months ago and now I find they won't ship paints.  So what I'm trying to do is find a common touch-up paint that can be purchased from one of the online suppliers who don't have problems with shipping.  Alternatively, I can try to find a BASF Diamont dealer who will mix small quantities and ship.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:56 AM »
Any good full service automotive paint supplier should be able to mix your paints based on your #s. I use Space Age Paints here in AZ. Only problem is the minimum qty is 1/2 pint so it lasts a long time for touch ups.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Stireman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
I faxed the paint codes from the cabinet door of my coach to Industrial Finishes and they provided the formula to me via fax.  I then had a local BASF supplier make up the paints.  I picked them up and had a local auto paint shop put the paints in spray cans.  I now have a good supply of touchup paints for all three colors in spray cans for ease of use.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna
400HP Cat C-9

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
Some automotive paint stores can also scan your paint with a device that allows them to match your exact color. The factory paint codes are not an exact 100% match. Body shopes use a "blending" method to get paint to match to get color to match.

Mike.Way

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
When I required some paint for my '98, I tried the local PPG outlet for body shops.  They attempted to match but no joy.  After some research I found another local body shop supply for the "Diamont" paints and they were able to supple a quart mixed for about $50.  I blew that through an HVLP gun and it matched after some clear coat spray coverage.

I suspect the paints are available in "unadvertised" body shop supply locations but the quantity used for touch up is too small for a proper match.

Mike

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
I also had tried PPG (brought the coach to them to match) but they were unable to match the gold (the greens were much easier).  The biggest problem I have is that there is nothing on the coach that is easily detachable that has the gold color on it that I can bring to a paint place.  I end up having to bring the entire MH.  I'm too chicken to remove a storage compartment door for fear of not getting it back on properly!  ;D

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
It isn't real easy to find a paint shop that caries Diamont paints, but when you do, it will match just fine. I had to do a repair on the curve of my roof, when I found that the first owner had apparently hit something and had it repaired with "Bondo". I tore the Bondo out, fiberglassed over the hole, faired it out, then repainted the area. The Diamont paint was a near-perfect match, and after buffing and clear-coating, the repair is almost invisible. I bought a small gravity feed spray gun and practiced with it until I flet I could lay down a fairly good coat each time.