Author Topic: Replacing Mini Blinds  (Read 8565 times)

Dick Simonis

Replacing Mini Blinds
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Probably the only item on our Beaver that consistently bothers me are the mini-blinds and every trip moves replacing them closer to the top of my to-do list.  I'm just wondering if others have replaced them and, if so, with what.  I have to think that this may be a DIY job except I have no idea how to remove the frame surrounding the windows.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Joel Weiss

Re: Replacing Mini Blinds
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Dick--

Removing the frame around the windows is actually pretty simple, but no two of them are exactly alike.  The cornices in the living area are attached to the cabinets above them with long screws from underneath.  The window surrounds are attached to the cornices along the sides and there are also "L"-brackets inside the frames near the bottom that hold them to the wall.  The large double window frame next to our recliner also has an obvious screw with cover through the middle piece of the frame.  

We've recovered all the cornices in the coach and several of the window frames as well.  They really aren't difficult to deal with, but no two are attached in exactly the same way.  Once you've taken down the cornice, replacement of the blinds themselves is pretty simple.  The biggest challenge is finding a window treatment that will fit in the limited depth of the cornice.  We haven't yet come up with anything better than blinds since we like the ability to be able to see out but retain some privacy, something which is difficult to do with most shades.  My DW isn't fond of the rather plain look of the MCD shades which seem to be in vogue at the moment.

Joel

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
We ended up getting an extended screwdriver end produced by Vermont Tool for a drill or screw gun. They are 8 incch estentions. Available at just about any hardware store and inexpensive.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
Richard,

I agree with the proceeding posts.  The cornices are fairly easy to remove.  They can be attached differntly.  Just be careful moving them in or out of position that you don't tear them or mar the wood.  

I removed all of mine on my 2005 Monterey.  I had the day night shades that just did not hold up.  I did replace them with day night shades that are about 2" wide.  They seem to hold their shape better.  However, I was told by the manufacturer that the day night shades need to be kept in the up or compact postition as much as possible.

Dennis

William Ferguson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
I ordered my replacement shades through blinds.com  Service and price were great.  I replaced the mini blinds with top down bottom up shades without cords, and I really like them!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Quote from: William Ferguson
I ordered my replacement shades through blinds.com  Service and price were great.  I replaced the mini blinds with top down bottom up shades without cords, and I really like them!

What is a "top-down, bottom-up blind?  Sounds interesting!  Thanx!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Adams

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
We were in Bend a few months ago and inquired about replacing the mini blinds on our 2001 Contessa. We wanted something along the lines of the MCD day/night shades.

The guys at BCS had someone local come out to the coach to give us a quote. When he measured our valances he found they were very narrow and would not accommodate any of the new style shades without replacing the valances with something deeper. At that point our only option was replacing the mini blinds with new mini blinds or incuring a much larger expense.

At that point we decided our mini blinds were perfect just the way they are.

Good luck, Steve

PS. Prior to the guy coming out BCS said that we should expect to pay in the neighborhood of $400 per window, some more, some less to get the new style shades. So about $3200 for the whole coach which was before we knew about the valance issue.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Our mini blinds are beginning to look real good at that cost.

I was hoping to find something like we have in the bedroom as they seem to fit in the same size valance but Oh Well I'll spend the $$$ on something that yields a greater benefit.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
You might want talk to RV outfitters ( if you haven't already)  in Bend they are one of our sponsers and see what they might offer.  They are an authorized MCD distributor also.  Their reputation is excellent.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
The mini blinds are fine by us as we like to also see out while haveing a little privacy in doing so, at times.  Day/night blinds in the bedroom might be nice but not worth the expence right now.

The problem we have is that the string locks seem to be weakening and this causes one end of the blind to slide down a few inches and make an annoying clacking noise while walking around, coming and going from the coach and while driving.  This drives me absolutely bonkers!  LOL!

Has anyone else had this problem?  And if so, what was you're solution?
Thanks for any input!
    CAROL Moffett
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
look up at the roller assembly.You will see a string has come off its wheel. Put it back on and all will be level.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks!  I will try that!
C. Moffett
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Oliver

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
For far less $ you can get custom cut (to length and width) mini blinds at Home Depot or Lowes.  Then all you need to do is make up ( or have made) a new, deeper valence/cornice.  Those are pretty simple.  On our Contessa they are covered with fabric, so the materials and workmanship of the wood bits under the fabric doesn't even show.  If you want fancy, any wood shop should be able to make you something that will look stunning for a total cost still way less than $400 per window.