Author Topic: VCR Needed w/ Flat Panel TVs?  (Read 14113 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
VCR Needed w/ Flat Panel TVs?
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
2001 Contessa with Konka TVs (2), Sony SLVN70 VCR, and Sony DE445 Stereo Receiver. Inputs are antenna, Sat DTV, and cable.
I'm  just getting started on replacing the Konkas with Visio LCD units. I initially thought I would be able to eliminate the VCR as the new TVs have multiple inputs. Additionally the cabinet holding the VCR will be partially behind the flat screen (32" as the boss won't settle for a 26).
Has anyone done this conversion? If so were you able to eliminate the VCR, and How did you make the hook ups?
Thx! Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: VCR Needed w/ Flat Panel TVs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
Hi Steve I did the change over back in 2010, I posted photos of the change on the forum I used the Vizio that was also a wifi unit and we have been enjoying Netflix for the last 2 years. If you look at the general boards under Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome you can find my post ( you have to go to all the way back it looks like I was the first one to post the change over to the LCD edge HD/WIFI unit.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
You won't need the VCR in line, just make sure that your RG58 or RG6 cables run correctly through your selector box from your cable sources (sat receiver, park cable, antenna) and then back out to the TVs.  My front TV receives input from the cable, but I have also run two HDMI cables to it.  One from the sat receiver (VP211K) and one from the Sony Blu-Ray player.  The rear tv receives all signals from the cable as selected by the selector box, but I do have a small Blu-Ray player back there as well connected via HDMI.  In the old days, the VCR's tuner was used as part of the video system.  It's really not necessary anymore, and won't work with digital signals anyway.  I replaced all of the AV equipment in our coach except for the Sony home theater stereo and speakers as it still works well.   By the way, if you travel to the Destin, Florida area, Sony has an outlet store there.  I picked up a couple of nice refurbished Sony Blu-Ray players for $54 each.  They also had great deals on new LED TVs and other Sony products.

There are photos of my Front TV replacement in the redecorating section of the forum.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. Bill, you mentioned a "selector box". Is this something you had to add? My Sat rcvr outputs into 2 RCA cable sets, one to the VCR In and the other to the Stereo Rcvr.
Steve
Steve

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
Steve -

My coach came with a selector box that allowed redirection of the video feed to tv1, tv2 and VCR.  I purchased a newer version to replace the original.  Some coaches may not use these.  It is also possible with newer home theater receivers to use their internal circuitry to do the same thing. The manual switch box I use is the Quest video control center.  I believe Camping World carries them.

Bill

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
W had at one time a selector box but we removed it when we upgraded the TV's thei only thing we have not do is change the drop down 42" set up front. When we do change this one out I plan to run a new HDMI cable the 06 model didn't include the standard HD cable.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
If you plan on using anything larger than a 26 inch TV you should try and revamp your cabling to HDMI. HD equipment is here to stay and the older switch box will not serve you well. Basically you want to bring signal into the new TV from the coach terrestrial antenna and all other sources directly to the TV inputs using the best available method that you can using your TV as a switch box. The order from low quality to high is RF over RG59 cable (your VCR has an RF modulator that sends signal over channel 3 or 4 for example), RF over RG6U cable, Composite Video, Component Video and finally HDMI cabling. The one exception is a high definition signal from a terrestrial antenna over RG59 or RG6U.  (RG6U is the lower loss preffered cable for a digital siganl antenna system)

These are some general rules where you do the best you can within the limitations of a motor home installation and how much work amd access you have to run cables. There are those folks who really could care less about high definition also, they just want to catch the news. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
Ed,
Good inputs. I assume you used an HDMI splitter to feed 2 TVs from the sat rcvr. How much problem did you have running the HDMI cable to the bdrm TV?
You almost have to go to HDMI as most of the newer sets only have 1 component input, forcing you to use a switch to accommodate both the Sat TV and the DVD component feeds.
Thx, Steve
Steve

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
Steve,

This is where it is a matter of choices and how much trouble you want to go through for each TV installation and what your cabling options are in your particular coach. You could use an HDMI splitter. Up through 26 inch screens I am happy with component or composite video. My satellite receiver also uses a UHF selectable channel to send out an RF version over RG59 or RG6U that is a decent video source up through the 26inch size screen but not quite as good as the composite video, component video being better yet.

My situation is a satellite receiver with two tuners in a rear closet so I used a composite video cable into a 26inch rear LCD TV that I added. I have a 42 inch swing down TV in the living area that is 40ft from the receiver with no usable coach cabling but we needed HDMI quality signal so the following option worked well. HDMI cable ends are large requiring a very large hole to run them, probably 7/8inch. Because you cannot put the HDMI end plugs on yourself after running the cable, they are problematic for a retrofit. HDMI signals can be run through a pair of Cat5 networking cables that you can add plugs on afterwards requiring just a 1/4 inch hole. The signal is converted using some power amplifed Baluns to an HDMI cable format and they work very well. This method handled 1080p/120HZ signals without an issue in my case. These may support 240hz but I have not tried that. If you go this route you should check your TV specs against the Balun specs for the particular manufacturer.

Each installation is different and the choices are personal ones regarding picture quality. If you can run two HDMI cables and hide them well that would be a first choice. From there you do your best. These are a couple of photos of the Cat 5 cable method which I tucked under the ceiling panels for routing.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:36:24 PM by 910 »

Mike.Way

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Ed, where did you source the connector/adapter from cat 5 to HDMI?  I assume cat 6 would work as well?

Thanks,

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 04:07:40 AM »
Mike,

I assume Cat 6 would work but I have heard that Cat 5 is better in this application. I would follow adapter cabling instructions as to the type of cable. I actually got my adapters through a family member who is in the business and they were made by Niles. They are a good outfit but their components are pricey unless you have a source. This adapter set seems to be well rated on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Certified-Bandwidth/dp/B003EE8OL6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346209121&sr=8-6&keywords=cat5+to+hdmi+converter  The good thing about Amazon is that they will allow returns if these do not work well for you.

Later Ed

Mike.Way

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
Thanks Ed,

Looks feasible for my needs. Also thanks for the tutorial on the wifi extender earlier.

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »
Mike,

Have fun with this project, it is a rewarding one, given the vast improvement in picture quality and the hiding of the cables. If you put your own Cat5/6 cable ends on you will need a special crimping tool. They are not hard to use, a couple of practice wire alignment and crimps and you will be well on your way. Your welcome on the WiFi extender project. Maybe someday campground Wifi will be so good that we won't have the need for this option, that would be nice.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
Completed the conversion to flat screens.  Put doors (“plagerized with pride” from Jim Cazazza’s example) on the existing TV box fronts. I was able to remove the VCR, replacing it with a coax jumper as I’m using the existing coax circuit for antenna and shore cable. Since I don’t have a HD dish, I decided to run composite signals for the satellite. It worked out well as I was able to use existing wiring. The only real mod was to add a DVD player in the bedroom which freed up the existing DVD cable to route satellite composite to the bedroom set. I used the component outputs from the DVDs to route to the sets as they had both composite and component inputs. Both sets are 26”. I was going to put a 32” in the front but after holding it in place, we opted for the 26”. For anyone considering a 32 or larger Vizio, you’ll find that they only have a component input, no composite. I routed the front TV optical audio back to the stereo receiver TV input through an optical to RCA jack converter. This works great as the stereo rcvr reflects whatever is on the TV w/o having to select different inputs on it. For mounts, I used Vizio’s XMT500. They are 1.5” thick, tilt up to 10 degrees, hold up to 50 lbs and take 19” – 37” sets for less than $22. When I upgrade to HD, I’ll convert to HDMI cables but this works great for now and is a major improvement in picture quality. Plus, I got a place to mount my  printer (front TV cabinet) and the boss got the rear cabinet.
Thanks to all for the valuable inputs. It made the job much easier.
Steve
Steve

Dick Simonis

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Steve, that is one nice looking installation.  

I'll be tackling mine when we get back to Green Valley but I'm still unsure just how I want to do this.  We currently have a 26" Visio and, somehow, I intend to cram a 32" in there.  The one I'm looking at is a Samsung that is only 29" wide (3" more than the 26").  It will be very interesting to get into all the cables as Dan at BCS has done a lot of work back there and I have 3 A/B switchs, one DuoChannel sat receiver/DVR plus a DVD player. That's in addition the push button selector switch and OTA antenna stuff off to the left of the TV.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/lcd-and-plasma-tvs-ratings/models/overview/samsung-un32eh5000-99045005.htm

I'll need to be mindful of the audio input to the Bose system but that seems to be wired to the Sat receiver as sound plays with the TV off.

I'm sure the 32" will interfere with the left front cabinet door but that is seldom used and I'm hoping I can find a  mount that will let me swing the TV for access.