Author Topic: Levelling Jacks  (Read 5667 times)

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Levelling Jacks
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
Our new-to-us '95 Pat has an HWH manual hydraulic levelling system. My question relates to how fast the jacks are supposed to retract.
When extended, I have been using the individual up/down buttons to raise the jacks and lower the coach, following which I press the "store" button to complete the retraction process. Here's the problem- when I press any of the jack retract buttons, that corner of the coach descends like an elevator with a broken cable. It goes down so fast that it bounces on the suspension. Particularly the front single jack.
Is there something wrong with the jack system? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using these buttons this way or should I simply hit the "store" button to lower the coach more slowly and store the jacks?

Thanks
Andy Clark
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Levelling Jacks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:48:30 AM »
Do you air up the suspension before retracting the jacks?  That may make the fall less severe.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:05:08 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:10:30 AM »
Andy,
You will get less frame twist and lessen the chance of breaking a windshield if you use the store button only when raising the jacks.

Gerald

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Thanks, Gerald. I use the "store" button to retract the jacks after lowering the coach. My question was should I use this button to retract (lower the coach) AND store the jacks, instead of first using the individual jack retracting buttons and THEN pressing the "store" button.

Larry, I do not air up the suspension before retracting because there's a groaning from the jacks and they try to slide forward as the suspension comes up. It seems a lot less traumatic to the coach if I retract the jacks first.

Thanks
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Dennis Kitchens

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
Andy, check your operations manual on your jacks I think their is something in there about that. I always air up first then bring them up. Letting the coach come down hard on the jacks can't be a good thing. Thats a lot of weight comming down hard and I would think you stand a chance of damage on the jacks after a while or bending something.

Dennis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Andy,
Assuming that the coach is on a flat surface and not on a bad slope, it is the normal practice to air up, then press the store button. I was using the term "raise the jacks" to include lowering the coach, because that is how the coach is lowered.

Gerald  

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:41 AM »
Thanks to all who contributed answers to my question. I'm doing to go out into the courtyard tomorrow and just press the "store" button to see if that brings the coach down more slowly.
Listen for the crash...........!
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
Hi Andy, before you hit the stow button be sure to air bags are full if they are then that alone should stop the dropping.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13