Author Topic: Sudden List  (Read 4403 times)

Keith Duner

Sudden List
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Good Day:

I walked out to the barn today (Wednesday) to check on the coach and found it listing significantly to the passenger side (2005 Monterey 3 slide w/400Cat w/25K miles).  We took a trip over the Rocky mountains this past weekend and all was well.  When I checked the coach Monday and Tuesday, all was normal. When I found it listing to the passenger side this morning I started the coach and the air buzzer sounded briefly but the gauge indicated that air pressure was almost normal (it reached normal and shut off the buzzer within a minute).  However, there was no change in the list to the passenger side.  I dumped all air to level the coach out and restarted the engine.  The time required to bring the air pressure up to normal seemed to be within the typical range and the driverside did come up as expected.  Again though, the passenger side remained very low, maybe no movement at all.  My first assumption is that this is not an air leak (based on the normal pressure build up time).  I'm new to air suspension so I'm not sure where to start.  A quick search of the forum makes me think there are 3 sensors responsible for maintaining suspention alignment, 2 in the rear and 1 in the front.  I'm puzzled why the coach would sit in the barn for two days in a "normal" attitude and then on the third day suddenly develop a significant list.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks  

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
Re: Sudden List
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Have you looked at the height sensor for that side? Is the linkage still in one piece, do the rods appear to be in the same place as adjusted,(nothing has slipped) road contamination should be even all around all rods or no new bright spots as would indicate linkage slipping, Does the sensor body appear to be solidly intact. Mine were cracked at the fittings as the bodies were plastic and leaking air, Are the air lines to and from the sensor intact and not pinched. Just some things to check.
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
Keith,
If the coach was not using automatic air leveling, the first place to start is the sensor linkage for the rirght rear suspension. However, if it was using an air leveling system at the time, you should start with the right rear suspension air lines and air bags.

Gerald  

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:38:39 AM »
Keith,

Most of all, be careful under there.  Use some method of blocking the the chassis so the other corners do not fall on you, if another side decides to fail.

Larry

Keith Duner

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Gerald, as far as I can tell the coach is not equipped with an auto leveling system.   As soon as I figure out how to get under there safely I'll start the investigation.  I'll update when I know more.  Regards