Author Topic: Black water odor  (Read 4531 times)

Murray Elliott

Black water odor
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:21:28 AM »
Beaver Monterey 2003
When we first start to travel in the morning we always have a strong black water odor.   It eventually fades.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  

Bill Sprague

Re: Black water odor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:40:34 AM »
We have an '04.  In our case the bad "stink" comes from the grey water, not black.  We find that if the grey tank is not empty it seems to "burp" at the shower, one of the sinks or laundry.  

The black tank only has two outlets, the toilet itself and the roof vent.  If the toilet can keep water in it, that seal is good.  The roof seal, at 60 mph should be venting fine.

Bill Sprague

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »
Smell could be coming from the P-trap (drain) behind the washer / dryer.  We have to pour water down ours periodicaly especialy when it is warm out.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »
check your roof vent. I just found mine to be clogged with a wasp (dirt-dauber) nest.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
Murray, the symptoms you describe do sound like a vent issue for the the black tank, with luck it's just plugged I have also heard of the vent pipe being broken or a coupling that has parted. To find the problem you most likely will need to be on the roof 1. check the venturi vent first if it's clear then the next step is to remove the venturi to check the pipe.  2. See if the pipe is solid when you pull on it this will check the connections if it does pull up then you have a coupling issue or a broken pipe. If the pipe is solid you can also run a snake down the line to check that it's clear all the way to the holding tank.

Both Keith and Bill are correct this may be a grey tank issue you may want to check before going to the roof.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »
On my '98 Patriot, the pipe from the roof vent missed the tank outlet by 6 inches and was left dangling.  It took two 90 degree angle connectors to reach the tank and end the odor problem.  You cannot rule out anything.

Larry