Author Topic: Bugs Fom Hell  (Read 8566 times)

Dick Simonis

Bugs Fom Hell
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »
Yesterday when we went from Idaho Falls to Anaconda, MT our Beaver found some bugs that must have been the size of Humming Birds based on the resounding impact they made on the windshield and front cap.  When we got to the RV Park there was quite a mess on the front and cleaning was a nightmare.

My question is:  What products work well with MH's of the 2000 vintage that have the factory clear bra.  I have no idea what product Beaver used during that production period but I do believe it's a porous material and many of the bug removers state not to be used on porous surfaces.

My, whatever it is, is in good shape and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

Re: Bugs Fom Hell
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
I use Meguiars car wash on our Beaver. Our coach has a plain front but I find the Meguiars is really sudsy and slippery and really gets into the dirt/bug stuff.

We're heading to the Bozeman, Mt area Thurs. Hope those bird size bugs weren't on the I-90 route to Anaconda!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »
I find that repeatedly soaking the bugs with water or water and soap to soften them enough to come off relatively easily using one of those sponges with the mesh over it. Rinse the nose and bugs 4 or 5 times over a 10-15 minute period before you start the soap and water clean. I am not completely sure but I think something like 303 protectant would be good to protect the clear plastic overlay that has been used on the nose of some Beaver coaches. It stops sun UV damage and many of these clear non painted coverings seem to crack with age. You could check with the supplier of the clear films what they recommend.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Dryer sheets are a bit quicker than the repeated wetting method. The soffner in the sheets soffens the bugs and the sheets rub the bugs off. It does take some rinsing.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
I use Dawn liquid dish soap on the massive Love bugs we get down in this part of the country.  Just a long squirt in 3 gallons of water works great.  Best thing I have ever used to get them off.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
I have to agree with one of the previous posts, Bounce dryer sheets are by far the best way to remove bugs

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
I've adapted my outdoor shower so that I can attach a standard water hose.  To the end of the hose I attach a long handle car wash brush.   With hot water flowing, the worst of the bugs come off quickly.  

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies I'll give a couple of those a try.  Regarding the Bounce, were you using them on a clear bra or just a painted surfaces?

The hot water is a good thought, I do have a hose bib on the HW heater that would accomplish 2 objective...flush the HW heater, and remove bug residue.

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »
Hi DIck, I use the Bounce sheets on everything: paint, clear bra, glass.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:08:10 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
A product called Bugs B Gone found at some auto parts stores (just bought a concentrate at Lordco in Canada) works great for me.  To help out I regularly apply a protective quick wax from Thetford that just wipes on with minimal elbow grease.  Cleaning with 20/20 windshield wash and the Bugs B Gone and rinsing and drying well first is necessary.  

I tried Aerospace 303 once this summer, but the bugs didn't clean off as easily the next time as they did with the Thetford product on the surface.  The 303 is best for UV protection, but doesn't seem as slick.

I'm not sure I'd use very hot water;  it conceivably would soften and remove any protective wax you've put on, plus it might soften the film enough that scrubbing could then leave micro scratches. Such scratches give the next batch of bugs a better grip, making them that much harder to remove.

Joel
Currently entertaining similar Montana bugs at Jim and Mary's RV, Missoula  ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked with Pat and she does have some Bounce and I'll give that a try after our return trip to Idaho Fall Saturday.  As far as Bug removal products go, I did pick up a Turtle Wax product but it states not to be used on porous surfaces so I'm a bit leery although I did use it before reading the label......no obvious ill affects so far.

Joel, hope you[re enjoying Missoula and if time permits you should try to pop up to Polson for a bit of sightseeing and perhaps some fishing.  Beautiful location.

One more round of Golf at Old Works than back through the smoke heading south....perhaps the bugs have been asphyxicated.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
An old trick is to spray Pam on the painted surfaces befor you get into the bugs.  Then wash with dawn, comes right off.