Author Topic: TV Cabinet above driver.  (Read 16975 times)

Jeremy Parrett

TV Cabinet above driver.
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
I have installed a 32 inch LED TV on a support bracket center above the dash. I need to remove the old TV cabinet, cut off the top so it is the same height as the rest of the cabinets above the dash,and then reinstall it. It seems to be attached at the sides to the cabinet above the driver and to the cabinet left of center above the dash with screws.  Will it come loose if I undo these screws?
 Anyone who has done this modification please help!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:06:44 AM by 4115 »

Bill Jourdain

Re: TV Cabinet above driver.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
The trim around the front TV cabinet of our 2002 Monterey is held on with 4 screws, no glue.  I have had it off several times.  Not sure about the Marquis but I assume it is similar.

Richard Crane

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:20:56 AM »
Jeremy,
We have a 2000 Marquis Jasper. I could not locate all the screws in order to remove the cabinet. We sawed it down in place. It was an awkward job but a Fein saw did the job. You could use a jig saw too. At the ends you would have to use a hand saw to finish the cut. The upholstered bottom comes off with several bolts going into Tee nuts.  I had to make a raised panel door to match the others. We also removed the center portion of the cabinet where we installed the TV. It is hinged so it swings up to the ceiling when driving. It works well and is flush with the cabinet bottom when closed.
Richard and Judie Crane
2000 Marquis  C 12

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
Richard:
I would like to make a pair of matching raised panel doors for the TV cabinet in the bedroom, so I can turn it into a storage cupboard.  I think the wood used for the cabinets in my coach is poplar, which is not available here.  What wood did you use?  Where did you find a source for that wood?  Hinges too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:42:54 PM by 14 »

David Lynch

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
Richard I would love to see some pictures of your remodel  Sounds pretty interesting.  Kieth.  My neighbor has a Timber King saw mill and we cut in our sare time.  I know we cut Poplar/popal/aspen this past summer into rough sawn 1 by varied widths.

Dave

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:14:02 AM »
David:

Thanks for the offer.  I went through all of the literature in my coach to verify my recollection that the wood was Poplar, and to my surprise, it turns out I was wrong, it is Alder, equally unavailable here.  I have some maple, so I may make the doors up and if they don't look too out of place, that may do.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
Hi Richard,
  I think I am going to remove the bottom upholstered panel from the TV Cabinet .Then  carefully cut the bottom off the whole cabinet so when the upholstered panel is replaced it will be at the exact same height as the panels beside it. I can make these cuts with a dremel tool and a jig saw.

Richard Crane

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
Richard:
I would like to make a pair of matching raised panel doors for the TV cabinet in the bedroom, so I can turn it into a storage cupboard.  I think the wood used for the cabinets in my coach is poplar, which is not available here.  What wood did you use?  Where did you find a source for that wood?  Hinges too.

Keith,
Our coach is dark Cherry. The inlay is Makore, an African Cherry wood. I bought two pieces of Curley Makore from Rockler, a nationwide woodworking retail and on line supplier. They were 1/8" thick. They are not identical to the other cabinet inlays, but, so close you don't notice. I believe the hinges are Blum. They are available from cabinet shops or stores like Home Depot.
I don't know how to post pictures to the site. If you will send me an email address I have several photos I can send you, or, give me instructions how to attach photos.
Richard & Judie Crane
2000 Marquis Jasper C12

Keith Oliver

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »
I managed to find some Alder and am in the process of building the doors.  I have looked at hinges in several stores, and there are many acceptable options, although none exactly the same.  I don't have exactly the same router bits to make the moldings, but can come close.  I predict no-one will notice the differences.

Steve Adams

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
Would everyone contributing to this string who has already done so or is in the process of modifying their front TV cabinet for an LED/LCD TV mind posting some pictures? For those of us who want to do something but have no idea what or how to do this would be a great help.

Thanks, Steve

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
Steve,
If you scan through the Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome section of the BAC forum, you will find several post about TV updating and most include pictures. The post about my TV upgrade is at;  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1287170869/s-new/

Gerald  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
Steve,
I just completed my conversion. See discussion and pics under VCR Needed? post at Gerald's reference above.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Richard Crane

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Jeremy,
I have attached photographs of the TV in the up and down positions. Unfortunately the up photograph is dark, but, you will get the idea. You can also see how nice the cabinets look with the TV box at the same height as the others. We have yet to upholster the botom of the center portion which the TV mounts to. The assembly is held in the up position by a bay door type latching mechanism. We have not determined how to camoflage teh exposed bottom of the TV yet.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
Photo from Richard Crane

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »
From Richard Crane

You can click on the photo to enlarge it.