Author Topic: Adding Solar Panel  (Read 3823 times)

Dick Simonis

Adding Solar Panel
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
Our 2000 PT came with one 100W Solar Panel and I'm thinking about adding one more.  

Question, is the factory wiring capable of handling 2 panels??  I suspect the solar charge controller may need to be upgraded but that is easy compared to changing the wires.

Gerald Farris

Re: Adding Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:32:46 AM »
Dick,
The wiring is probably marginal for 200 watts, however 200 watts is probably the maximum. The only way to be sure is to actually check the gauge of the wiring at your solar panel. I am pretty sure that your Patriot has the same wiring that the 2000 Marquis uses for 150 watts of panels.

The problem may be that you will not receive full benefit from the extra panel if the is any significant resistance in the wiring.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I sort of expected that might be the case. I'll have mull that over but my first inclination is to now worry about the possiblitly of a slight line lose, which should only occur for a limited period of time.  I haven't looking into solar panels for quite a few years and there sure are a lot of diffetant type on the market.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
My coach had 150 watts of solar power at manufacture.  I added another 110 watt panel   This produced about 14 amps.  The original solar controller maxed at 7.4 amps, so I needed a new controller.  I installed the new 16 amp capacity controller on the shelf next to the refrigerator, so I could view the LED readout inside.  I routed new 10 gauge wires down the refrigerator vent to the controller and from there to the batteries.  The old controller is still in the bay, but no longer in service.  That was about 5 years ago, and technology has changed.  Search the internet for the latest equipment.  You may want to use the BAC link to Amazon.

Larry