Author Topic: Sani Con  (Read 11549 times)

Steven Harper

Sani Con
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
We have a 2008 Beaver Contessa.  Our coach has a Sani Con system with a macerator pump.  It appears our pump has gone bad.  Has anyone had to replace one of these.  Every place I have called in our area (Kansas)  has never replaced one of these but are familiar with the product.  Should I trust one of the guys to replace it or find someone that has?   I have looked at the pump in the bay area behind the water panel.  Looks like it might be a problem getting to the pump.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Karen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:39:50 PM by 14 »

Robert Mathis

Re: Sani Con
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:58 AM »
What are your symptoms? Last year, one of our female guests put something in the toilet that didn't belong there and it got in the blades and stopped the macerator. This caused an overload situation and blew the fuse. I had to remove the inlet from the pump, clear the stoppage using knives, screwdrivers and forceps, then replace the fuse and it works fine. There is a manual way to clear the frozen pump, but that reqires putting a straight slot screwdriver in a hole in the back of the pump and manually turning it to clear the stoppage. Unfortunately, there is no way to access the rear of the pump on my Contessa, unless you are very skinny and can worm your way into the bay to reach the pump. I have had this same problem with the macerator on my boat, but I could access the manual override on it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:41:49 PM by 14 »

Steven Harper

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
This could very well be my problem.  The pump is still running but it isn't forcing anything out of the hose (hope this makes sense).  I did talk to the service dept. in AZ where we bought our coach and he also mentioned something about the inlet  -  that it probably is broken" since the pump is still running.  How did you access the pump.  Did you have to take the front panel off in the water compartment bay???   I am a "little" mechanical but afraid this might be a little above me.  If I could "squeeze" in the bay and manually turn it do you think this would help????  Thanks for your help.

Karen

Steven Harper

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
Can you tell me where the "fuse" is located???   Since pump is still running I don't think it's the fuse.  Do you agree???

Karen

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
Karen,
Since the pump is still running, your pump does not have a bad fuse. However, since it is producing no flow, it either has a blockage in the intake or a stripped or broken impeller. Either way you will probably need to remove or at least partially disassembly the pump to correct the problem.

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »
Steve, I was able to access the front of the pump by going in under the metal panel where all of the valves are.  I removed the inlet hose and then could get to the impeller.  It is just like the blades of a blender, and just inside the "nose" of the macerator.  I agree that if the pump is running, the fuse is fine.  Understand that when you pull that hose off, there is going to be a nasty mess.  If your Contessa is like mine, the inlet hose runs from the common dump connection to the macerator, and there should be an access port in the bay floor under the dump connector.  Make sure both dump valves are closed, take the access port cover off, put a bucket under it, and remove the hose from the dump connection (WEAR GLOVES).  After it has drained, you can wash the area well, then take the hose off of the inlet and see what's wrong. If you are lucky, it's just a clogged hose.  If not, as I recall, the impeller is held on by a small nut, and can be fairly easily replaced.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:45:36 PM by 14 »

Steven Harper

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
Well, I just finished cleaning the sani con.  It has to be the NASTIEST job in town!!!!!!  After cleaning black hose I could see to the pump and the impeller and it was spinning.  Didn't look like anything broken off.  I filled the black tank with water and ran the sani con.  No flow out of small back hose.  I cleaned small hose and it started flowing.  It doesn't seem to be flowing as good but will continue to filter water thru and I think it will be alright.  Thanks to everyone who helped.  This forum has definitely been a life and money saver.  Thanks again so much.

Karen 712555