Author Topic: Drive Shaft Seal  (Read 4444 times)

Edward Buker

Drive Shaft Seal
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »
On our last coach, an 89 Beaver Contessa, we had some oil seepage that I would consider minor at the drive shaft seal where it enters the differential. On our 2002 Marquis I now have enough seepeage that it will leave a 3 or 4 inch dia. circle of oil after coming into a campground after a warm days run.

A small amount of oil leaves a good size footprint and so far on our run from VT to Alabama we have not had to add any oil. My question is, has anyone else had this issue with their differential seal and what type shop did you use to repair it. Last but not least, what is involved with the repair and what should one expect to pay for this seal replacement? I'm guessing that the differential gearing will have to be pulled to replace the seal but I am not sure.

Thanks Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Drive Shaft Seal
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
Ed, That would be called a "pinion seal". Any reputable truck shop or dealer such as Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Navastar(International) or Frieghtliner can do it. The cost would be their hourly rate plus parts. The seal would be about $25.00 and labor around 2 hours. The only other part would be a pinion yoke if the seal has worn a grove in it. I don't know what the cost of that would be but the one on my Jeep Wrangler that was replaced 3 months ago was $125. Generally to replace the pinion seal the whole differential does not have to come out or apart. Hope that is of some help. Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:24 AM »
 Ed,
The seal that you are referring to is called a pinion seal. The gearing in the differential does not need to be removed to replace it. However it should be replaced by a qualified technician who knows how to overhaul a differential to avoid improperly torquing the pinion nut and causing bearing failure. Therefore it should be replaced by a qualified truck driveline repair shop. Sorry, but I do not have any idea what the going cost of the repair would be in your area.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Marty and Gerald thanks for the info. I will find out who is qualified to do this job in our area when we get home. Glad the seal is servicable without a great deal of tear down.

Later Ed