Author Topic: Lithium Ion Batteries  (Read 7216 times)

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Lithium Ion Batteries
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »
Is anyone using Lithium-ion batteries for their house or chassis? Please share your experience if so.
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Hi Steve,
I am not using the Lithium style batteries, but I think I may have seen some type of display at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, you may want to give Sean or Ken a call about them, they may be able to give you some info.

Please keep us posted if you do get some good or bad info.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
Is this question really a lithium ion question or an AGM (absorbtive Glass Mat) battery question? I have only seen a rare instance of a lithium ion battery being mentioned as a starting battery and they were $1500. They are typically used in a hybrid car installation which is a different custom installation. I'm not even sure if the required charge cycle is compatible with the options available on our Xantrex or equivalent. Thought I would question this, given the pace that things change nowadays, you just never know if the battery world is changing and I'm being left behind.

Later Ed

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Nope Ed, I am definitely talking about Lithium Ion. I have AGMs now and they are toast. We dry camp a lot and my Lifelines are shot. Yes from what I know so far the LiFePO4 batteries are at least twice the cost of lifelines...$$$$ BUT they supposedly last 3-4 times longer and are 1/3 the weight. 3000 to 4000 charge cycles vs. 500 to 1000 for AGM. I am seriously considering them and know of only two companies so far.   Smart Battery  http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-rv-deep-cycle.php  and Lithonics  http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/rv.html .   I think this is fairly new for the RV market so the price will probably eventually come down. Just wanted to bounce it off the group.
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
If you look at cost per year maybe they will come out O.K.  at some point. My sister in law drives a Ford Escape hybrid and it has been on the road 6 or 7 years and the battery system with that technology is still running with no fails but they seldom see a deep discharge working off of brake regeneration and perhaps an alternator/generator of some sort.  I have had computer laptop batteries fail with similar battery technology.

If the warranty was for 5 years or more and not pro rated then it may be something to look into. I would hate to have a 2 year warranty and then get a fail at those prices. Seems like you are one of those folks looking at "going where no man has gone before" :-)

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
I'm having problems with the economics of this. My assumptions; LI batteries run $500+ each. Normal wet cells at about $120 per. I get 5 - 8 years from wet cells. Thus the LI batteries would need to have about 5x the life of the wet cells (25-40 years). Seems like overkill. Of course,I'm not costing the maint. on wet cells or hassle of changing, but it still doesn't seem to balance out.
What am I missing?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 01:54:20 AM »
For what's it worth, my experience has been that traditional wet cells are tough to beat.  I.e., I will be replacing by original equipment Interstate batteries before Quartzite and they are what, 10-11 years old.  Still functioning great but the capacity has dropped to about 40% and will not longer support heavy inverter loads like the microwave.  Reckon the replacemnt cost will be ~500.00 for the 4 of them.

Tough to justify AGM's and Li-ion is a non-starter.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Thought the below item was interesting information.

http://www.micro-power.com/userfiles/file/mp_upgrading_sla-1265139938.pdf

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 03:13:58 AM »
If BCS had a battery display for an alternative to standard batteries, it would most likely be a display for AGMs.  

I agree with Steve and Dick...  the numbers don't pan out.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
If you look at cost per year maybe they will come out O.K.  at some point. My sister in law drives a Ford Escape hybrid and it has been on the road 6 or 7 years and the battery system with that technology is still running with no fails but they seldom see a deep discharge working off of brake regeneration and perhaps an alternator/generator of some sort.  I have had computer laptop batteries fail with similar battery technology.

If the warranty was for 5 years or more and not pro rated then it may be something to look into. I would hate to have a 2 year warranty and then get a fail at those prices. Seems like you are one of those folks looking at "going where no man has gone before" :-)

Later Ed

Ed, you can double check me on this but I believe that hybrids only allow that batteries to charge to ~75-80% and don't allow discharging below ~35-40%.  They do this to extend the battery life.  At least this was the case early on.

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
Dick,

I have never investigated a hybrid but I am sure that the charging system is optimized for battery reliability as well as hybrid performance. I think that there may have been some government mandates on hybrid battery warranty duration as a consumer protection which may have influenced the use of a reduced portion of the charge curve.

I have been one who waits and lets the technology problems get worked out before I consider a new option like a hybrid. The same is true for any Lithium Ion battery technology as a house or chassis battery. The expense is well beyond other options and I am not sure if that technology is compatible and capiable of our application. I also think that our charge systems has never been tailored or optimized for that battery technology so that would be a hard stop issue even if money was no object.

Later Ed