Author Topic: Cruise control stopped working  (Read 5527 times)

Bob Adams

Cruise control stopped working
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
My cruise control stopped working on a recent trip. Viewed through the Aladdin monitor it shows it is set at 0 and it is off. Everything else on the smart wheel is working fine except the buttons for the cruise control. Tried canceling, setting, on/off, resume etc. and no response to any action. When pressing the buttons the check engine light flashed a half dozen times so I stopped messing with it and got no further check engine notice. Exhaust brake is off. Unplugged the towed JIC but no change. Coach brake lights work fine and the brake pedal and switch doesn't seem to be sticking. Checked my wiring diagrams but there is nothing in there for the cruise control wiring. There is a a relay in the front run electrical box labeled "Cruise Disable" but outside of that I can't find any appropriate fuse. I'll probably replace that relay as it's cheap and easy to do. I'll probably also unplug and plug back in the smart wheel controller to see if anything "reboots". Lastly I guess I'll take it to the CAT dealer and see if it has anything to do with the ECM, or ECU, whichever they call it. Anybody had any experience with this issue and have some other ideas I could try? Thanks!

Edward Buker

Re: Cruise control stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »
That system is a latching relay system and you should be able to look for outputs at different pin points. In this link there is a description and a trouble shooting guide that should help. The external relay that you describe I would think would be powered on and off when the on/off on the wheel is used but I have never worked on this system and do not know for sure. Hope this helps give you some ideas where to look and how to go about it.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electronics/smartwheel.htm

Later Ed
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:32:12 AM by 910 »

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
Bob,

Your description sound almost exactly to what I had happen. My cruise quit working and when trying to activate I also had "check engine". The other thing that was odd on mine was the headlights would not go out after being turned on as a result of windshield wipers being turned on.

Long story short, I had to replace the smart wheel module. I sourced it from BCS, new old stock. If you go to the smart wheel web site, they show different models and from there you can get the bulletins to set up the module correctly - pins need to be set in correct order.

http://vipwheels.com/WEB%20PAGES/techsupport.html

Jeff

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Gerald Burns

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
I had the same type of problem on my '07 Marquis, and it drove me nuts for about three weeks, because we drove the coach with the computer hooked up.  After several attempts, finally figured out it was in the Vorad system, with the front sensor that slows you down when you come up behind another car on the road.  Bottom line was an expensive senor replacement or just unplugging the front sensor.  All other aspects of the Vorad still work fine including the distance lights on the dash.  Don't know if you have a Vorad, but if you do, that might be the problem.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:35:30 PM by 14 »

Bob Adams

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I spent the weekend winterizing the coach so haven't had a chance to try out any of these very helpful ideas, but I will. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again!