Author Topic: Electrical Problem  (Read 4298 times)

Evie Dooley

Electrical Problem
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Have 2006 Monterey.  Have lost power to front end of coach ie: ignition, generator, driver & passenger seat, windshield fans, map lights, basement plugs, 12 volt plugins,  block heater switch,  and other neighboring switches.

Past remedy: flipped power disconnect switches (flipping house switch worked to get all working again but not this time.)

Have checked inside fuses (bathroom fuse box)

Has anyone had this problem?  Can anyone help

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
I would start with the batteries.  Check connections and voltage.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
Check your electrical bay (driver's side front) for poor or corroded connections, especially at master bars like ground busses.  And check the Ford-style solenoid, bottom center of the board.  You've got two positive busses on the right, and 3 bars of circuit breakers above the solenoid.  Your symptoms would lead me to the solenoid, if not the battery bay as John mentioned.  Be careful messing with the solenoid not to arc a hi-amp cable to ground with a wrench - turn off battery switches first.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:16:11 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
Bob Dooley called me on the phone and we were able to determine that his problem was caused by discharged chassis batteries. The chassis batteries were discharged to less than 10 volts because his "Bird" system was malfunctioning.

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
I had the same problem with my coach. THe BIRD and related solenoid wasn't working because a ground wire to the BIRD had come loose in the crimp connection.

Evie Dooley

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
Thanks for all your imput.  Chassis batteries are charged to 13.6 all appears to be working.  (why?)
Did speak with Frank, tec support at Navistar.  He concurred with all you guys said adding that dianogosis can't be made unless problem is present.
But he said from what we explained that probable problem lies in the Bird (control module) as opposed to solenoid.
Frank was very helpful and patient; he is an assest to Navistar.

Will check for loose ground connection or crimp to the bird as you suggest Robert.

Thanks again, our first attempt to solve a problem via the forum has been a very positive experience.