Author Topic: Lead Acid Batteries  (Read 3956 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Lead Acid Batteries
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the Energizer brand (mfg by Johnson Controls) for either house or chassis application. Reason for question; I'm currently using Interstate in the RV and have no complaints, but I've noticed that the Interstates I have in my autos have been failing at an increased rate over the past 4 years. Conversely I've got a couple of Energizers (based on Consumer Reports ratings) purchased at Sam's Club/Walmart  and they have been holding up very well. Just wondering if the trend is applicable to RV applications.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

Re: Lead Acid Batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
Johnson Controls is one of the lead quality manufacturers. I am never sure if they cut the quality level in some way to market to Sam's. I have had good luck with Interstate 6V golf cart batteries and that version of battery requires that it be more robust than the car battery market requires. Given the stress that golf cart batteries must endure,  I'm not sure if your observation regarding a car starting battery is relavent. I would think that either of these sources would work well based on experience unless something has changed. We are down to just a couple of manufacturers of batteries in the U.S. with many brands being labeled. I would probably pay a small premium for Interstate 10-15% but would use either. The big issue is that they are golf cart batteries which are more robust by design.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:47:36 AM by 910 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the response. I suspect you are right about differing quality levels. In looking into it further, I found the following web site that shows who makes which brand of batteries. If it is accurate, the label on your battery only indicates the marketer, not the manufacturer. For instance, Johnson Controls supplies Interstate with some batteries including the "Workaholic" chassis batteries many of us use. Maybe that's why I observe that they seem to stand up better than the automotive versions.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#J

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
I recently had my interstate house batteries changed out cause since the day I got them it seems that they have always leaked out acid and I could never get that stopped regardless of what I did.  I had BCS replace with Trojan 6 volt, which I think is an excellent battery.  
Still have the interstate workaholic for the chassis.