Author Topic: Winterizing Reverse Osmosis  (Read 9592 times)

Bill Jourdain

Winterizing Reverse Osmosis
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
Hot on the heels of our last winterizing thread, I realized that I had another winterizing question about my new-to-me 2001 Monterey.  The prior owner had a reverse osmosis system installed.  Photo attached.  There is no manual for this system in the coach.  Can anyone give me some advice about winterizing, by-passing, etc. this unit?  I've never had one in prior RVs and am not sure how this system works.  I will note that no water is coming out of the spicket plumbed to this system, so it may be bypassed.  I just want to be careful before I start turning valves and doing other things to try to figure this out.  I would appreciate any advice.

Bill

Dick Simonis

Re: Winterizing Reverse Osmosis
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »
Don't know why you're not getting any water out the spigot unless the feed valve is closed....first thing to check.

For winterizing, the easiest way would be to drain the pressure tank though the faucet, shut off the feed valve, shove the pressure tank off to the side, find the two screws hold int the RO system to the wall, and simply move it to the garage.

I have frozen membranes many times without ill effect but it's still not recommended and the two filter housings would need to be removed anyway to prevent fracturing.  The large horizontal round housing is for the membrane and the smaller one is probably a small polishing filter with carbon or a copper compound (NOTE: more marketing hype than anything else).  Depending on the supplier, the two cartridge filters may contain a carbon prefilter (for Cl removal) and/or a sediment filter or another carbon filter.  These can be carbon impregnated paper, carbon block, or GAC (grannular activated carbon).  There will also be a auto shutoff valve....,probably about 2" squarish or roundish somewhere on the assy.  This is conneced to both the feed and permeate side and is easily damaged by freezing.

Just tag all the lines before you start and reassy should be a snap.  While it's out, you might just take the assy to a dealer and have it all checked out .

If you're interested here is an OK gadget for checking your water quality.  Not great but good enough to tell you if the RO system is working.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Auto-off-Function/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

Running antifreeze through the system will not be effective as the glycol will not permeate at the pressure you will use so removal is you safest option.

Good luck.

Dick

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
Thanks, Dick.  I will be winterizing the coach this weekend and will check all of this.

Bill

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:22:59 AM »
Bill,

Dick has the right idea, given there is no safe way to winterize a reverse osmosis filter unit using propylene glycol in your coach. In some cases, depending on the type of membrane you have, propylene glycol could damage the membrane, If you decide to remove the unit and store it in a warm place, care needs to be taken to maintain a water seal so that the R.O. membrane remains saturated with water that is clorine and bacterial contamination free. I would install a shut off valve on the incoming line to the filter assembly (I think it is red) and one in the blue line which exits the R.O. filter.
Once those valves are in place run water to clear any air, shut off the valves, and then remove and store the unit. The carbon pre filter removes the clorine that will damage the R.O. membrane and you should be fine storing it as is. There is a small chance that the R.O. unit could become an incubator over the winter without a biocide in it. If the flow, color, smell, and taste is all normal on start up then you should be O.K.  If not, remove the filters, disinfect the unit with a clorine solution, flush it and install all new filters. Hope this helps.

Later Ed