Author Topic: Air  Leveling--Compressor  (Read 5953 times)

Ron Langdon

Air  Leveling--Compressor
« on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
Friday I left Bend Service Center thinking the random starting of the compressor for the air leveling system was fixed.  Apparently not. About every 10 minutes it cycles on for 2-3 seconds then shuts off. I've checked to see if the coach is out of level, but it's not. Maybe a leaking check value or short? And how to repair? Any thoughts???
Thanks in advance. Advice here is always valuable.

Gerald Farris

Re: Air  Leveling--Compressor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »
Ron,
Monaco placed a check valve between the pressure switch and the tank on many coaches that were built in the 2004 to 2009 era. If that is what your problem is, the easiest way to correct it is to just remove the check valve at the tank in the line between the compressor and the air tank. A check valve there is not needed since there is one at the compressor outlet.

The other way to correct the problem is to move the pressure switch to the air tank. It is important for the pressure switch to read as large a volume of compressed air as possible, because a small volume area like just the air line between the compressor and tank will change pressure very quickly with a very minimal leak and recover very quickly when the compressor turns back on because of the small volume.

Gerald  

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
Ron, I had the same problem and spend lots of time searching for leaks. I thought I had found them all, but the problem persisted. Eventually, Alliance Coach found a small leak over the tag axle and that fixed the problem. Those bayonet fittings in the air lines are notorious for leaking. The lines also get brittle and then the fittings don't work so well. A spray bottle with soapy water will help find any leaks. It's tedious, but worth the time.

Ron Langdon

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:54 AM »
Thanks for your advice.  I went back to the Service Center armed with your advice.  As you said, Robert, the process is long and tedious. Carl spent the day with soap, water and spay can.  He found a series of small leaks and repaired/fixed them.  Retested the lines and they all held.  Another test revealed that the leak was probably in the compressor or tank itself.  Since it was going to take 2 weeks to get the part, we put things back together and headed south.  Since the air is being lost from the tank/compressor and the lines are holding and the display is showing level status.  I have disconnected the fuse associated with the compressor, and cycling problem is terminated--- but not fixed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:59:49 AM by 14 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
We changed our air compressor to a Viair 380 on the 06 Pat, the original pump had an open field that would fill with dirt and road grim it was located just in front of the rear tires. It was a very bad design from Monaco. The new pump is sealed and much better, it fills the system in in seconds. The cost was much less then the factory unit and the change was very simple thanks to advise from Gerald.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:59:15 AM »
See, I told ya Ron. ;D
But Jerry's right, the Viair 380 is one quality pump, and we owe Gerald credit for the recommendation.  If and when my original goes out, the 380 is an obvious replacement.  I think it's about $190 at Amazon.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
Link to the Viair 380c Air Compressor  $189.  At Amazon

http://amzn.com/B002XUHHUQ

This item has also been added to our RV Products Store.

Visit our store here    http://beaveramb.org/Amazom%20Ad/AmazonAd1.htm