Author Topic: Monterey Major Remodel, Update and Upgrade  (Read 10745 times)

Bill Sprague

Monterey Major Remodel, Update and Upgrade
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
The forum and an entire section devoted to successful upgrades and modifications.  I think the idea is that in times past we may have considered upgrading to new Beavers.  Times changed and that doesn't work now.  

We have had our Monterey for about 9 years.  I estimate we've slept in it about 1900 times and driven 96,000 miles.  It's been fun!

Between us and a couple dogs, the interior was getting run down.  Carpets were worn, wrinkled and dirty.  Beaver's idea of decoration was Palm Trees everywhere which guaranteed planned obsolesence!  

We once were invited into a vintage bus conversion that was decorated to give the feel of a mountain cabin or western lodge.  We thought we would like that.  So, out when the Palm Trees.

We did the following:
  • Replaced the plastic entry step treads with tile
  • Replaced the first few feet of worn out carpet with tile.
  • Replaced the rest of the remaining carpet with new "commercial grade" carpet
  • Replaced all the Palm Tree valance fabric with an "Indian Blanket" fabric from Pendleton Woolen Mills
  • Kept the existing kitchen/bath tile and replaced the broken one
  • Replaced the Palm Tree fabric on the dinning chairs with a rich brown ultra-leather
  • Replaced the standard definition TV with a Samsung high definition TV
  • Replaced the WalMart DVD player with a "smart" Samsung BD Player that will stream Netflix
  • Bought a lamp that is a sculpture of a bear catching a salmon with a copper shade
  • Put small Native American hand made baskets on display shelves
As we travel this year we will enjoy looking for more themed "decorations".  (Anybody have an old bamboo fly rod they don't want?)

Jim Sizemore, the owner of RV Outfitters in Bend, OR did the work.  (He is one of the BAC's regular advertisers.)  As others have said, his work is excellent.

I put together a two and half minute YouTube of his work.  If it looks a little like an ad promoting Jim and his work, I planned it that way.  Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-wxx65Gtk

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Monterey Major Remodel, Update and Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »
Bill,
Looks Great!  Now you're ready for another 9 years or so.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
Bill,
Looks Great!  Now you're ready for another 9 years or so.
Steve
That is exactly the idea we have!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Bill the rig looks better then new!
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
Bill the rig looks better then new!
Thank you.  BJ and I thought the same thing.  Certainly the materials we used are of higher quality than what Beaver used.

I should have taken some before pictures.  The entry steps that Beaver did was sloppy.  The plastic stair tread material was OK, but it was pieced together!   Instead of using full width pieces, they butt seamed some of them and tried to seal it with silicon.  It was like they were using scraps from other projects to save money.

BJ Sprague

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »
Our remodel feels like a new coach!  RV Outfitters did a terrific job for us, and is a BAC sponsor, too. Owner Jim Sizemore works with Elaine on the upholstery and fabric valances.  She was a longtime Bend Beaver employee and her work, like Jim's, reflects quality and attention to craftsmanship.  I'll be happy to show off our remodel with a personal tour - perhaps seeing some of you "on the road."

If anyone is interested - the Pendleton retail store in Pendleton Oregon has an entire room of fabric and home decorating items, most at closeout prices.  We chose fabric from factory rolls that had ample yardage for most any project.  I coordinated colors with a Pendleton pillow and throw.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Looks like they did a very nice job. Donna and I love the color combinations. Gives us some ideas of what we can do to ours down the road.

We dropped by RV Outfitters back in May to have our dining room chairs repaired while we were having some work some work done at BCS. They did a great job and the chairs are holding up very nicely.

I would agree with Bill that the forum could use a separate section for remodels and upgrades. With the Beaver brand no longer being manufactured and many of us having no desire to shell out big money for a new coach when we already own a quality coach I can see a lot of remodel and upgrade projects in BAC's future.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 09:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Craig Rollins
..........I would agree with Bill that the forum could use a separate section for remodels and upgrades......

Click the "Home" button above.  Then scroll down and look at the sections.  Or, go here:  http://forum.bacrallies.com/b-Redecorate/

Craig Rollins

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague

Click the "Home" button above.  Then scroll down and look at the sections.  Or, go here:  http://forum.bacrallies.com/b-Redecorate/

Wow! I must have written that before my second cup of coffee. :-/