Author Topic: Step Cover  (Read 4090 times)

John Jahr

Step Cover
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
I have 2005 Beaver Monterey.  Took the coach out today, and could not get the air powered step cover to work at all.  Can any one give me any idea where I can start looking?  Any help I can get to started chasing done this problem would be appreciated.  

John Jahr
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:59:49 AM by 14 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Step Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »
John,
Not an expert on this but will try to help. Assuming cover is like mine, it is driven by a 12v actuated air cylinder located under the floor at the inboard side of the cover. Mine has an access door under the carpet but I think it is also accessible from underneath. My cover has stopped working a couple of time due to build-up  in the channels the cover slides in, but normally it would slow down before stopping completely. Cleaning the channels with compressed air and spraying a bit of WD40 or silicone remedied the issue for me. If that isn't it, I would check to see if I had 12v at the cover switch. I think it's wired so that 12v is supplied to either the open or close side of the cylinder. If no voltage, there are a couple of 5A relays in the electrical bay labeled step. I'd guess that one of them supplies voltage to the cover while the other to the step. See if you have 12v at both. If thats all OK, I'd next check to see if the air cylinder is working.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific.  Good Luck.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
When my '04 was new, the step cover moved too fast.  It seemed dangerous at the time so we asked for service under warranty.  They adjusted a solenoid or valve of some sort in the electrical bay below the drivers window.  As I recall, the switches were connected to that valve and it sent air to the actuator.  I'm not at the coach so, I can't check.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:01:48 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:01:57 AM »
Mine wasn't coming back in until it wanted to.  That sometimes took 15 minutes.  In order to adjust it, I had to find out where the adjustment was.  The adjuster was found on the outside of the case in which the cover slides, between the front of the case and the front cap of the Beaver.  You can identify it by the air lines coming to it and going off to the piston.  There are two adjustment screws on the valve. One controls the amount of air going to the "out" side of the piston and the other to the "in".  Mine took several turns before it started to make a difference, then was quick to make a lot of difference.  Yours may be in a different place, but down under the front of the coach is most likely.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:03:24 AM by 14 »

John Jahr

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:46:16 PM »
Thanks Steve, Bill and Kieth.

I won't beable to start working on this utill Friday or so but will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again

John Jahr