Author Topic: CAT 3126B Fault Code  (Read 6911 times)

Paul Bowers

CAT 3126B Fault Code
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
I have posted this on the forum before but since the problem has not been fixed, I thought I would give everyone an update.

My coach has a CAT 3126B that has an intermittent problem of going to idle and leaving me with no throttle response.  When this happens, the check engine light illuminates, the engine goes to idle and I try and find a place to pull over.  Once stopped, I turn off the ignition, wait 10 seconds, restart the engine, fault codes have been extinguished and everything operates as normal.

The original code was 91 40 1 - Invalid Throttle Signl (assume Signal).  Now a second code of 91 45 1 - Throttle Sensor Clbrtn (assume Calibration).  National CAT Hotline said they showed no codes like this for my engine type and serial number and neither does my local CAT dealer.

Since the throttle sensor looks at so many parameters I am taking the coach in and make sure all the fluids and filters are up to par. Cables grounded (just replaced the batteries so the terminals are clean and connected). If that don't work, will probably change throttle pedal where the sensor is housed, since it is a contained unit and cannot be replaced separately.  Although, I put a volt meter to it and actuated the pedal 200 times with no break in current.

If the problem persists after that, well...guess I will park it in a trailer park, scrap the engine and transmission for the metal, put the generator on wheels (so when the next hurricane comes around I will be ready), run a line from the gas bottle to a new grill under the awning, I saw on sale at Wal-Mart, put it on blocks, sell the tire and rims (less than 200 miles on new Bridgestones) and rent it out.  Maybe, get with a friend of mine and write a country song about dead CAT's and Beavers and Watermelon wine;D

Forgive me Tom T  ;)

Edward Buker

Re: CAT 3126B Fault Code
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
Paul,

You might try a call to Peterson Cat in Bend OR. I think the service manager name is Jerry, if my memory serves me. That shop by now must have seen most every problem that happens to Cat engines in Beaver Coaches. If they cannot help, I have one other name.  At least if they have no idea, then you know it is pretty obscure.

Because the codes are always related to a value that is coming from the throttle sensor and because that is apparently an analog device with a mechanical wiper contact, I would also lean on changing that out to eliminate it.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:32:46 PM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
Reccomend you direct your Problem to Brett Wolfe either from  RV.net forum or the Diesel RV forum (Formally CAT RV Club). He is one of the most knowledagable people arround on the older CAT engines.

http://www.dieselrvclub.org/  

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/22.cfm

Sure beats the alternative plan you mention. A lot of us would be be glad to pay you the "scrap" price for you engine I am sure.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:33:46 PM by 14 »

Paul Bowers

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Richard,

Hopefully the alternative method will not be needed, but I will put you name down on the scrap list.

I am also a member of the Diesel RV Club, and my problem with the coach was also posted there in Feb...so far no replies.

Thanks,

pb
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:34:53 PM by 14 »