Author Topic: Datron for Dish  (Read 13094 times)

Dick Simonis

Re: Datron for Dish
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
For what's it's worth, we started off with a Carry Out on Dish and a VIP722K reciever.  While it did work very well there wre some limitation but nothing we couldn't work around.  Most HD channels were fine and the few we coudn't recieve the SD counterparts were OK so we didn't lose the program, only the HD.

This year we had BCS install a Traveler and, without a doubt, was a good investment.  Much better reception and the ease of pushing a button, over setting up an external, made it worthwhile.  Plus it opened up a ton of Bay storage once I got home and sold the Carry Out.

If you get something other than the Traveler, it's possible you will be spending the $$$ twice as you will probably get it later.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
I had a RM DM46 Winegard dish on my first Beaver coach,  a 1993 Patriot, and it worked OK for the standard definition DirecTV satellite TV of that period (do not know about Dish). If you have not upgraded the original TVs that came in your coach, and you are happy with a standard definition signal the RM DM46 dish is a useable system, at least for DirecTV.

A few things to consider. First you will have to drill about a one inch hole through the roof of the coach for the crank-up handle, so it will be a permanent installation. It is not upgradeable to HD reception.  If you move often, it can be a little bit of a nuisance to have to locate the satellite, however I found that the Digital Magic elevation sensor add-on was a great help in this task.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
If you live with campground cable, your terestrial antenna, and pick up dvds for however long it takes to decide if this coach is a keeper you will probably save money and a lot of decison making and installation turmoil. The one good thing about today is that your entertainment can come from multiple sources. You could also have downloaded programming while at home on your computer and stream that to your TV in the coach as another option if that is something that you have done before.

In the end something like the Winegard Traveler might be your best choice because of the roof install and cabling advantages getting connections to the satellite receiver and TV. It is more expensive, but you will be assured that it will work well, and the install should be more straight forward. I think you only want to go through one install of a permanent antenna system for whatever coach you stay with so take your time. You will not find any cabling installed in your current coach that will work between whatever dish system you choose and the satellite receiver. That issue may dictate a shorter list of antenna systems and locations that make sense for your coach.

Later Ed  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
We have an in motion dish but also have "The Cube" that is portable and aimed from inside the coach with a remote control. These systems are single LNB so only pick up the standard signal and not HD. We like Direct TV as our RV is in with our two HD home receivers and only costs $4.95 per month more. We can also reauthorize the receiver if necessary with an I Phone ap.

barbhalsell

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »
Looks like we will live with the channels we pull in on the regular batwing for awhile :) Thanks for all the input.