Author Topic: Furnace Location  (Read 8144 times)

John Jahr

Furnace Location
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
I Have a 2005 Monterey. Last night the temps were going into to the high 20's. I'm plugged into 30 amps.
I turned on the hydo hot on electric and  turned on the furance. Could not get the furance to come on.
So put a small space heater in the coach overnight. I'm trying to find the furance compartnt. I feel lika dummy because I cant find it. Hope someone can help.

John Jahr

Sean Donohue

Re: Furnace Location
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
I believe that if only the electric portion of the HydroHot is turned on it will take a while for the system to come up to operating temp and trigger the fans to blow air. Check it again in a few hours.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:22:33 PM by 5 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »
John,
There is no furnace compartment, per se. The whole system is the Aqua Hot. Once the antifreeze is heated to the correct temperature, the Aqua Hot applies voltage to the fans at the heat exchangers in the coach to supply heat. As Sean noted, this can take some time; 15-30 minutes or so, depending how cold it is. Also, if you are using hot water, shower, etc, the system will prioritize that over the room heat.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »
John,
Also, use the diesel to power the hydro hot. The electric heater is not sufficient to get the system up to temp. Once it's heating the electric might be OK as a standalone, but not to get the system to temp in cold weather.
Steve
Steve

John Jahr

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
Ok So what your saying is I don't have a Propane furnace. When I put the thermostat on furnace that is for the Hydro Hot  Correct?

Thanks so much for all your help.

John Jahr
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:23:30 PM by 5 »

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
Quote from: John Jahr
Ok So what your saying is I don't have a Propane furance. When I put the thermostat on furance that is for the Hydro Hot  Correct?

Thanks so much for all your help

John Jahr

John, you are correct you do not have a furnace but in addition to turning on the thermostat you will also  need to turn ON your switch labeled, "Diesel" which enables your diesel burner (Hydrohot/AquaHot) which will provide some real heat.

John Jahr

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
Thank You all very much. Its working great. I 'm learning something every day on this coach.

John Jahr

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
John, first chance you get, attend a Beaver rally or FMCA rally where you can get some hands-on answers from fellow owners.  Though this Forum is a big help, there's nothing like personal first-hand instruction.  If that's not practical or timely, many coach dealers will spend a couple hours giving you a standard "pre-delivery walk through" for $100 or so.  You might also find another coach owner that lives near you (check the BAC and FMCA member directories) that can mentor you.  You just have to ask.

That said, if your Monterey is similar to my '06 (and it may not be), your HydroHot is in the first bay aft of the curb side front wheel, next to the water tank.  I take it you don't have an owners manual, so you might contact AquaHot Systems with the model number off your unit, and see if they can send you a manual.
http://www.aquahot.com/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
Okay... so the AQUAHOT is the electric water heater and works rather slowly, the DIESEL BURNER is the fast water heater and will maintain hot water as it is used, and the HYDOHOT is the whole waterheating unit?  To use the AQUAHOT you must have either generator or minimum 30 amp shore power.  To use the DIESEL BURNER you will need more than roughly 1/4 tank of diesel because it pulls its diesel from roughly the 1/4 tank level so you cannot use all your diesel while camping.  And, by the way, your generator also takes its diesel from about the 1/4 tank level.  The furnace can be turned on at the thermostat, but if the HYDOHOT (waterheating unit) doesn't have the water temperature up, then the furnace fans won't operate until the water temperature is up.

Bottom line - don't plan on camping in cold weather and using your DIESEL BURNER or generator if your diesel tank is near 1/4 full.  Get it filled BEFORE that cold weather camping excursion.  
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
Dave,
In general you are right. However, if you fuel gauge is calibrated like mine, when it indicates empty there is a 1/4 tank full of fuel left in the tank.
Steve
Steve

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
Okay... so the AQUAHOT is the electric water heater and works rather slowly, the DIESEL BURNER is the fast water heater and will maintain hot water as it is used, and the HYDOHOT is the whole waterheating unit?  To use the AQUAHOT you must have either generator or minimum 30 amp shore power.  To use the DIESEL BURNER you will need more than roughly 1/4 tank of diesel because it pulls its diesel from roughly the 1/4 tank level so you cannot use all your diesel while camping.  And, by the way, your generator also takes its diesel from about the 1/4 tank level.  The furnace can be turned on at the thermostat, but if the HYDOHOT (waterheating unit) doesn't have the water temperature up, then the furnace fans won't operate until the water temperature is up.

Bottom line - don't plan on camping in cold weather and using your DIESEL BURNER or generator if your diesel tank is near 1/4 full.  Get it filled BEFORE that cold weather camping excursion.  
There is reasoning behind the 1/4 tank part.  The idea is that you won't identically use up all your fuel and not be able to drive to get it.

The heating system is one unit made by one company.  The names of the company and 20 models have changed.

Insided the unit are three sources of heat.  One is electric and is limited in output equal to the total amount that can come from a portable plug in heater.  The second is a much larger burner that consumes fuel from your one and only fuel tank.  The third is the motorhome engine itself.  To heat the motorhome, one or all of these three can be operating.  The first two are turned on by switches somewhere in your motorhome.  

You can get heat out of the system in two ways.  One is hot water that you get when you turn on the tap.  The other is hot air that you get when you turn on one a thermostat, select the furnace mode and set a a room temperature.  You can get a little hot air or hot water when you are only using the electric part of the heating unit.  You can get lots when you turn on the diesel part.  

The thermostats have an additional function and, in most cases, share the brand name of your air conditioning units.  The thermostats can be set to "Heat Pump" or "Cooling".  

Be careful of relying on a 30 amp source.  It is barely enough to run a large motorhome.  If your refrigerator, battery charger and the electric part of the heating system are on you are close to using up all 30 amps.  A toaster or hair dryer will overload it and the breaker at the power pole will trip.

It is obvious that 50 amps is better.  What is not obvious is that "50 amp hookups" means a pair of 50 amp circuits, or 100 amps.   With 100 amps you can use everything Beaver put in your motorhome for you.

When we are on a 30 amp hookup the fridge is put on propane, the battery charge rate is lowered, the electric portion of the heating system is on and we have the "one appliance" rule.  

When it is cold enough to need heat, our primary heat source is a portable baseboard heater.  It is silent and safe.  The HydroHot heating system is noisy.  If we don't stay warm enough, then we use the diesel burner.  

All of our phone numbers are listed in the Beaver directory.  Call anyone, tell them you are a new Beaver owner and you'll get lots of friendly help.  Better, make friends with a Beaver owner and get a "walk around" and briefing.  Best, go to a BAC Rally.

John Jahr

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Well----- With all the info I have received from all of you in this form the last few days, reading every thing I have in the manuals If I don't understand the Hydro-Hot now I never will. I have it running great now and I beleve I will be fine. I am only keeping it form freezing here in North Carolina untill I leave for sunny Florida on the 30th.

I am  looking forward to my first Beaver rally, maybe this winter. Thank you all agan for taking the time to help with this issue.

John

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
Enjoy!  8)
Steve
Steve