Author Topic: ENTRY DOOR LOCK  (Read 5651 times)

George Gaston

ENTRY DOOR LOCK
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
THE ELECTRONIC LOCK ON MY 2007 CONTESSA WILL NO LONGER LOCK THE ENTRY DOOR. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE KEY FOB OR WHEN PUTTING THE CODE IN THE HANDLE. IT UNLOCKS BUT WILL NOT LOCK. THE COMPARTMENT DOORS AL WORK PERFECTLY.
I CAN HEAR A MUFFLED SOFT THUNK FROM THE ENTRY DOOR LOCK BUT NOT THE GOOD SOLID POSITIVE LOCKING SOUND I USED TO HEAR.
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT THIS PROBLEM AND THE DIFFICULTY OF TAKING THE DOOR APART TO GET TO THE LOCK?
WE ARE HEADING SOUTH RIGHT AFTER THANKSGIVING, AND SINCE I CAN LOCK IT MANUALLY, I WILL PROBABLY WAIT UNTIL I GET TO DRYER AND WARMER CLIMATE TO TRY TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Jeff Watt

Re: ENTRY DOOR LOCK
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
George,

I don't have an answer but can sympathisze as mine does the opposite, i.e. locks but will not unlock the main door. When I use the fob or the key code to unlock, the interior lights come on and I hear a click, but nothing. There is 12v power at the contacts when locking and unlocking.

I too am not doing anything until I get to a different climate although mine is indoors and warm - to get it looked at I would have to take it someplace that may or my not be able to diagnose it and i dont want to do that now. I expect when I get south there will be more opportunities and people that can diagnose the problem.

Jeff

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
Quote from: George Gaston
.......DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT THIS PROBLEM AND THE DIFFICULTY OF TAKING THE DOOR APART TO GET TO THE LOCK?
Mine is not electronic, but I still had to fix it.  I was in eastern Canada and the door would not open from the inside.  A part I think is called a cap washer or keeper fell off the end of a rod.  I got to it by taking out screws one at a time.  It was not that hard.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
George,
Since you can lock and unlock the door manually, the locks rods are probably OK. The most likely cause of your problem is the pin contacts at the hinge side of the door or the lock actuator itself. Most of the time, it is a defective actuator.

Gerald

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Gerald,

I assume the same holds true for mine as I can manually lock/unlock the door?

The pin contacts on the door (hinge sides) or on the frame? Would taking some Emory cloth to them help to ensure good contact?

Is the actuator hard to source? Hard to install?

Mine was working well, then it just quit. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ps. Without keys, George can "unlock" himself out of his coach - not a problem for most; with mine, I can inadvertently "lock" myself out of it - a big problem. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:41:09 PM by 6566 »

George Gaston

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT REPLIED. GERALD WAS CORRECT, WITH JUST A SIMPLE CLEANING OF THE DOOR CONTACTS THE LOCK IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY AGAIN. IT ALWAYS PAYS TO TRY THE SIMPLEST FIX FIRST.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
Jeff,
Yes emery cloth will clean the contacts.

BCS (Beaver Coach Sales) probably has a replacement actuator in stock if you need one. However make sure that the actuator is bad before replacing it.

Most things that quit on a coach, were working fine one day then just quit the next day.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:06 AM »
After you clean the contacts if you spray them with a product called Corrosion X every couple of months they are not likely to have a problem again.

Later Ed