Author Topic: Over the air antenna  (Read 5861 times)

Mike.Way

Over the air antenna
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
My Winegard TV antenna has never worked properly, so it is time to replace it.  Hopefully with something that will also feed over air to the HD to my NEW( inspired by forum threads ) HDTV.

Is the newer Winegard adequate or what else is there?  No way I am buying another Datastorm.  I am looking at the batwing with the HD add-on and the signal strength meter.

Any ideas there?

What about ease of installation in existing locations?

Thanks,
mike

Joel Weiss

Re: Over the air antenna
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »
The "HD add-on" is just a ~$25 accessory for the basic bat wing.  There's no reason to replace the one you have.  I get great OTA reception from mine.  Aiming the antenna is a bit more important with HD, but we're currently getting reception from stations about 25 miles away without problem.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »
Mike,
The factory bat wing antenna has an amplifier in it that is powered through the coax cable that carries the signal for the TV. On my coach the center wire in the factory coax corroded and caused a poor to no signal. I removed the cable at the antenna and cut off about 6 inches then installed a new water proof end. Problem solved.

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
Mike,

Did you turn on the amplifier?

Check all the co-ax connectors.  Many were crimped at the factory with pliers instead of a crimping tool, and the wire comes loose inside the crimp.

If your new TV is HD ready, you probably do not need the HD "add on".

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:18:23 AM »
Larry,

The HD add on that is being discussed is a set of director elements that makes the roof top batwing antenna a little more directional for the uhf channels and therefor a little higher gain. It would not be a huge improvement. The TV being HD ready really does not have any bearing on your choice to add the extra elements or not. You make a good point about the connectors being properly crimped.

One issue that may be more significant regarding getting a good HD signal than the extra elements, is the fact that these coaches were wired with RG59 rather than RG6U cable. The 59 is a poor cable for UHF digital bandwidth signals and the signal path is littered with splitters and sometimes a selector switch with contacts that can oxidize and wear. There are high gain distribution amps that can replace the splitters and usually you can eliminate the switch box also. This overcomes the RG59 and splitter losses. If you search on antenna and my name there is info, an amazon link for an amp, and example photos of an install. There may be a better situation cable and splitter wise in a newer Beaver coach than my 2002, but I am not sure. There is a lot to be gained here in improved signal if your coach was wired like mine.

Later Ed

Mike.Way

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
As usual, thanks a lot for the great information.  Even got a phone call last evening.  Upshot is, clean and re-caulk the antenna, new coax (RG6U), then see about sending the OTA signal to the rear.  I am purchasing the newest Winegard scanner/amp, since my amp is also shot/obsolete.

Thanks, Mike

Mike.Way

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
Reporting.  

While the main antenna still will not raise, I installed(roughly) the new sensor pro amplifier.  With a quick scan, the new TV found about 40 channels, most high def, and most not worth watching.  The local networks, my goal as we will be traveling in the winter cold, came in loud and clear, or even 5X5.

Thanks for saving that extra buck for me.

Mike