Author Topic: 2000 ear interior "Puck" lights  (Read 7897 times)

Dick Simonis

2000 ear interior "Puck" lights
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
I have been contemplating do some LED lighting and the current Halogen "Puck" lights are perfect candidates but it appears that the I'm toying with the thought of adding 2 more in each panel and will LED's they should work very nicely and still not consume much juice.

Question though, are there still sources for the identical lights?  Also has any one already done this??

We won't be at the Indio rally but will be attending Quartzite.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:09:22 PM by 6575 »

Richard Crane

Re: 2000 ear interior "Puck" lights
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »
Dick,
I changed all the main living area ceiling lights over to LED. I used units with 24 segments which I thought would give me real brightness. Installing them was pretty easy. I just had to cut the pigtails to the same length the halogen bulbs had. I purchased them on Ebay from Hong Kong. They were inexpensive.
They work fine and draw very little amperage. Unfortunately they are not nearly as bright. The light level is acceptable though. I kept some halogen in place for reading under the cabinets. If you are coming to the January rally in Indio we will be there and you can see what they are like in our coach.

Richard and Judie Crane
2000 Marquis C 12

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
The puck lights are available in both cool and warm light, we like the warm light better the cools are very bright the warm will be more like the original lights you have now. You can get these on line and I have some info for one of the vendors that will be at indio
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
Perhaps I mis-stated what I'm really looking for.  While the LED lights are availble for the fixtures, for my project I need the fixtures themselves.  With the LED's having a lower output, adding more fixtures should more than compensate.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
I disagree that the LED replacement lights have lower intensity.  Not all of them are the same; too many of the ones sold through eBay or directly from China are being sold without lumen output ratings.  I bought the cheapest smallest ones I could find, a 6-LED one from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/boat-rv-bi-pin/filter/Base,G4,1,3377:Volts_Typical,12,100,3744: and put it in the toilet room under the medicine cabinet.  It is only rated at 55 lumens in warm white and I think it is every bit as bright as the bulb it replaced.  A G4 halogen has an initial lumen rating of ~140-150 lumens but that is radiated in all directions.  An LED puck replacement puts all its light downward which means that  a lower total output can have the same effective brightness.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
I have also replace most of my lights with the LED style in a warm white color, the results in brightness have been very good the only issue I have had is the dimming with pluse at the high end of bright.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
I have also replace most of my lights with the LED style in a warm white color, the results in brightness have been very good the only issue I have had is the dimming with pluse at the high end of bright.

Jerry, which LED's did you use??

I would like more than 6 LED's but I suspect the size becomes an issue in these small lights.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »
Dick the bulbs that I have been using I purchased at Quartzite from a vendor I will post his info later today.

I have also replace the bulbs in the lower bays with LED these are bright white and you can stack them to achieve the output you want(very cool) The original bulbs which would always burn out because I would forget to turn them off or would have something hit the side switch to turn them on. The issue I had is the heat the old fixtures in the bays would get very hot if left on the LED lights don't get hot!! Safety was the main reason to change over the bay lights in my opinion. On our 06 thunder we don't have a master bay switch in the cabin so the slide switch issue is mor of a problem then on other Beavers(the monaco design was poor on the 06)

The Puck lights also don't get hot and if you get the higher output lights in a Warm White, you will not be able to see the difference. I have attached a photo of the bulb style that I have used it is from a web supplier(not from the vendor I used)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:17:15 PM by 1651 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Collins

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »
We discovered that there are more than one size of these lights in our coaches. We bought LED replacements found out they are too large for our 2001 Marquis. I believe newer coaches have a larger size. We bought some that were the correct size at FMCA in Indianapolis but the wires are EXTREMELY difficult to put into the holders and finally gave up after ruining one fixture and being unable to install them into others.

Mary
2002 Marquis, C12

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »
Quote from: Mike Collins
We discovered that there are more than one size of these lights in our coaches. We bought LED replacements found out they are too large for our 2001 Marquis. I believe newer coaches have a larger size. We bought some that were the correct size at FMCA in Indianapolis but the wires are EXTREMELY difficult to put into the holders and finally gave up after ruining one fixture and being unable to install them into others.

Mary

That's why I bought the ones I did.  They are only 0.9" in diameter.  Many of the ones on the market are ~1.25" which I was pretty sure wouldn't fit.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
I found that when I replaced the halogen lights with the LED lights purchase anywhere, but mainly in Quartzsite or Indio, you have to file the wires at the end as they appear to be cut with wire cutters and have very sharp edges.  If you file them, they then fit into the socket quite easily.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13