Author Topic: Clarification on Hydro Hot please  (Read 4050 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Clarification on Hydro Hot please
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
I have the coach sitting in the driveway, anticipating leaving on Friday after work. I have it plugged in to my 30 amp receptacle. I know I can run the engine and the generator at the same time. Can I also run the generator when I'm plugged in? If so, which system takes precedent?

While the coach is plugged in, I have the electric Hydro Hot switch on and the furnaces set at 50 degrees F. If the generator is running at the same time, does it help to have the diesel switch on?

Can I also run the engine while I'm plugged in? If so, which system takes precedent? What about all three at once?

Thank you,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Clarification on Hydro Hot please
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »
Stan,

If you are connected to shore power and the generator is running, the power to your coach will come from the generator.  You can run the generator, be connected to shore power and run the engine all at the same time.  The generator will still provide the power to your coach.  I would be careful about running your Hydro Hot in electric mode plugged in to 30 amp shore power.  Just make sure that your charger is in a state of near full charge and no other major loads are on.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:38:22 AM »
Stan, I keep my coach plugged into 20amps and have the temp also set at 50. As Karl said, either turn your charger off or make sure the batteries are up. I keep mine charged before I turn on the Hydro-Hot electric element. Been doing it that way for five years with no problems. If the temps here fall to lower than 30 I turn the diesel burner on also. Marty

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:51:22 AM »
Depending on outside ambient temps., your electric element may maintain 50 degrees fine, but like Karl mentions, make sure no other appliances can overload and blow your 30 amp breaker.  I have had no problem with my 30 amp RV circuit here at home, in holding the coach at a 40 degree thermostat setting during freeze spells, though I do monitor it daily.  Regardless of electric power source, the diesel side of your "furnace" will work if you kick it on and is more effective at producing coach heat and hot water.  Whether or not the engine is running is inconsequential except that by providing engine coolant exchange heat to the hydronics, it cuts down on how hard the hydronic unit has to work on either electric or diesel.

That said, since I usually use the HydroHot to preheat my CAT to 80-100 degrees before starting anyway, I only benefit from engine heat to my coach heat and hot water after a road trip.  Preheating the engine, then using engine coolant to help one's hydronics of course makes no sense energy-wise.  So I'm not sure why you are asking about the engine.

Before you leave Friday, you may want to switch to diesel hydronics, turning off the electric side of it altogether, so you can turn on your refrigerator Thursday with no worry of tripping the RV outlet breaker.  Though the refer and hydronic electric element don't exceed things when I'm on 30 amps, if for some reason my inverter charger or other draw kicked in unexpectedly, I would still be safe than sorry; i.e.- I wouldn't come out Friday to find the coach cold and the refer warm  ;)

Joel
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:10:34 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
Thanks for all of the posts and responses. Looks like we're ok here.  :)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad