Author Topic: Compressor For Tires Etc  (Read 16895 times)

Edward Buker

Compressor For Tires Etc
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
I keep a small compressor in my house garage for the car and bike tires and blowing off some heat pump filters etc. My 20 year old unit had the tank rust through recently. This Porter Cable unit at CPO Bosch is an exceptional deal right now at $89 plus $6 in shipping. I ordered it yesterday and it was here today which was a big surprise.

I thought it would be very suitable for taking on the road in our RVs. It weighs just 24lbs, is quiet, measures 15 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches. Can stand vertical or lay horizontal for storage, is oilless, and shuts off at 135lbs with no struggle getting to that pressure. It looks to be very high quality, 1 year warranty, and was made to tote around while using trim nailers for construction. Neat little package that is rated very high. The fact that it is portable, quiet, relatively low starting/running current, and ergonomically easy to carry will make it very handy where a portable unit is desired. Thought I would pass this along. This is a new unit and not refurbished. The price will show $109 but an additional $20 is taken off for new items purchased that are over $100 right now.

http://www.cpoworkshop.com/porter-cable-c1010-1-gallon-135-psi-oil-free-quiet-trim-compressor/pcbnc1010,default,pd.html&ref=em20121204&cyEmail=e.buker@gulftel.com

Later Ed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:10:35 PM by 910 »

Sean Donohue

Re: Compressor For Tires Etc
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
Curious, have you tried to air a tire yet? If so how long to fill and what were the start and ending PSIs

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
I have one of the Cable Poter units in my garage and it is very nice.  Does a great job on the MH tires when alongside the house.  I also use it for a backup air supply to the suspension when I'm working underneath...just set it at 120 psig and plug it into the air chock.   For the MH I use a portable Vair compressor that is 12V and  tops off the MH tires very nicely.  However it's twice the cost of a 110V pancake but I've had it for a bit and used it for hunting and stuff when I wanted to change the jeeps tire pressures. for off-road use.

If I hadn't already had the Vair, I may have gone with another Porter Cable.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
So even though the SCFM isn't particularly high on your unit, Ed, it doesn't take forever to get a motorhome tire from 100 to 115 psi?  My 30 year old, 15 pound 3/4HP Craftsman tankless for household duties could use replacing too, but for the RV I was thinking a Viair would take up less storage space than the Craftsman or one like your P.C.

I had in mind an oil cooled model for the house, for quiet and longevity.  Regardless, the deal on the P.C. is pretty inviting;  thanks for the heads up.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
One thing that I liked is that the cut in pressure is pretty high, mine was about 115lbs and the cut out pressure was about 135lbs. It is engineered to not struggle at 135lbs. It has a high rpm motor and recovers reasonably quickly given the pressure and the 1 gallon tank volume . Adding air to tires will not be an issue unless you want to run higher than 115lbs in which case you may have to open the drain valve a few seconds to kick the compressor back on to get to the 135lb level cut out pressure or adjust the cut in (I'm assuming that is possible). Sean, I have had multiple compressors over the years in my house and shop and right now I have a little plastic housing 120V Campbell Hausfield that I travel with in the RV. It is very slow for tire pressures in the 115 to 120lb range. This Porter Cable is vastly superior when compared to that. Standing verticle at only 8 inches deep, it seemed like a good configuration to place in the bay somewhere where it would be handy. It is a small capable compressor for relatively low volume air needs at high pressure. Happy camper...

Later Ed

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
Pardon me for sounding somewhat "stupid" BUT how come you guys don't use the chuck fitting in the generator compartment and with the engine running at high rpm, and pump your tires that way?  I know that I'm not the only one with this capability.  What am I missing here guys?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
I have an air quick connect "chuck" fitting way at the back curbside where the air lines' purge valves are located.  I had to replace the quick connect fitting because it was full of dirt and wouldn't function.  I also bought a 50' air hose with several fittings - for tires, winterizing,... whatever.  There are more quick connect fittings located elsewhere?  Now I will have to get down on my back and wiggle around the underside of the coach?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
In both my 99 Pat Thunder and now my Contessa, the valves are located in the generator compartment.  I open the compartment all the way,  attach my 50' hose, start the engine, kick up the rpm, and air up if needed.  

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
If you use the air hose and coupler there is an essential trick.  The issue is that the engine driven compressor will not kick in until pressure drops below what we want in our tires.  If you don't do it right, you can actually let air out of the tires!

The trick is to have a helper pump the air brakes until the compressor is forced to cut in.  It is covered in this good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOqCk6dTuo

The same "RV Geeks" improved their method so that it is a one person job in a second video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5fK54DKWP0

It is on my to do list to make one of those.

Until then, I have a Campbell Hausfeld "inflator" that is cheaper, smaller and lighter than a construction compressor.  Basically, it is a compressor minus the tank.  It has a clip on air chuck.  It will add a pound of pressure at 100psi in about 75 seconds.  So, if I'm a 3 pounds short, I'll start it, clean a window or something, and come back.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-RP4100-120-Volt-Inflator/dp/B001737OQW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354729606&sr=8-2&keywords=campbell+hausfeld+120+volt+home+inflation+system

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
Leah, as Bill explained, it isn't as easy as it sounds.  I bought a bunch of hose and fittings too, but discovered that the tank pressure dropped below my target tire pressure before the system called for repressurizing the tanks, just as Bill points out.   It can be done, but using a portable pump seems easier all around.

Dave, like my rig, that battery bay outlet is the only one I know of.  The hassle with that location is if you ever have to be towed, the poor tow truck operator has to run a long hose from his truck all the way back to that spigot (to control the coach's air volume and parking brakes).  Been there, done that.  Trying to find stuff on the passenger side to drape the hose from and hold it secure required creativity, and time.  And the hose can rub marks on the sidewall and other parts during the trip.  Most outlets are up front in the generator compartment, which makes sense.  Why the heck they stuck ours in the back, I don't know.  I assume it may have made for an easier splice for a toad brake air line, but I don't know.

I imagine a guy could run a line up and put an outlet in up front, but the more fittings we have the more chances for system leaks.  

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
Ed,
Good deal. Just ordered one.
Thx for the tip!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
i think you will be happy with your choice. It will be handy for doing trim with a pin nailer also, being so portable and relatively quiet. I'm not a huge fan of starting the engine, putting it up on fast idle, and then dumping air to kick in the compressor to get some short window of useful air pressure. It works but in a campsite the neighbors won't be real happy with you. It is not that quick of a procedure for 6 or 8 tires. Still it saves you from carrying a compressor. Many ways to skin a cat....

Later Ed

Richard Cooper

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
Here was one of the reviews on the website selling it:

Comments about 135 PSI, 1 Gal. Oil-Free Quiet Trim Compressor:

I purchased this compressor to keep the tires aired up on my RV. The built in compressor in the RV will not reach the PSI necessary for my tires. This PC fits perfectly in one of the basement compartments when stood on its end, which can be done since it is an oil free compressor. It builds up to 135 PSI in a matter on minutes. I didn't cut the rating to a 4 star for the slight bleeding off as I don't use for the tires on a daily basis anyway.

CONS:  Bleeds 40 lbs over night.
---------------------------

What does he mean by bleeds 40 lbs overnight?  Is that what the tank loses after being pressurized?  Why is that important --- since as he says, it's over night?

Richard Cooper

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:02 AM »
I went through the process of ordering it on the CPO Porter Cable website and found that the deal isn't as sweet as originally stated now.  Their price is $109.42 less 20.00 plus 6.99 plus another 6.75 sales tax = $103.16 for me in Georgia.

On the other hand, now Amazon has changed their pricing and is also giving a $20 promotion for ordering it:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cabl...B00519EUCE

Amazon price is $109.42 (I have their prime shipping -- so free shipping for me) less 20.00 = $89.42 + either free shipping or extra depending on your situation.  Sales tax I think gets added for those in TN.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
Your link didn't go thru, Richard.  When I looked it up independently at Amazon, there was no $20 discount.  Shipping is free for orders over $25.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat