Author Topic: ENGINE QUITTING WHILE DRIVING  (Read 13992 times)

Bill Stireman

Re: ENGINE QUITTING WHILE DRIVING
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
My Cole Hersee electronic ignition arrived today.  Would anyone be willing to detail to me what wires go where?  I am not electrically inclined.  Should I hire someone to install it?  It looks intimidating.

Bill Stireman
40 ft '04 Monterey Laguna
C-9 400 HP Cat
'11 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500 tow
wintering in the beautiful Florida Keys

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »
Bill,

There are two small wires one red and one black. Those are used to trigger the unit on or off using the ignition switch as a source, One of the small wires on the existing solenoid goes to ground. That wire would be tied to the small black wire. The small red wire gets connected to the small wire on the existing solenoid that sees approximately 12V when you turn on the ignition switch. There are two larger termnals on the Cole Hersee unit, one is a plus terminal and one is a minus. With the ignition off one of the larger terminals/wires on the existing mechanical solenoid should have 12V on it. That wire would go to the + terminal. One side of the existing solenoid should have approximately 0V on it with the ignition off, that side would go to the - Terminal. These solenoids, mechanical or electronic, can be wired  with what is referred to as high side switching (load is placed on 12v side before the solenoid) or low side switching (load is placed on the ground side after the solenoid). In either case the readings that I listed here would work for sorting out the wiring for the new Cole Hersee.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
I'm puzzled as to why we would want to replace the solenoid with an electronic one before any problems have been noticed.  Cars have been using solenoids like this for a hundred years; they aren't inherently a problem.  Other than replacing one in an old piece of machinery I had around my farm I can't recall ever having replaced one.  I can understand that people would like to avoid having breakdown problems, but there are dozens of things on my coach I could choose to replace before they failed. I can't afford to do most of them and I'm not sure why I would choose this one to start with.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
I think Bill is concerned about having to deal with on-the-road shutdowns like others have experienced here, and wants to stave off such an inconvenience.  Given I also experienced weird starting issues in Midwest heat this summer, a problem that stopped in cooler climes, I'm also considering going electronic as a pre-emptory move, or as one that optimizes my system, depending on how you look at it.  Among the dozens of things I can replace on the rig, most of which as you say aren't cost effective (and I agree), I'd say this particular one might be cost effective given the level of potential inconvenience it would prevent.

I too rarely had a problem with the old "Ford" type solenoids on the farm, but it can happen.  The emergency boost solenoid on our old Pace Arrow quit on me once when I needed it, and I had to jumper the main connections to transfer house bat power to the starter.  The contacts inside can carbon up or burn eventually, which I would presume is not an issue with electronic units.  I've also found that there can be variability in quality with mechanical solenoids, and that you get what you pay for.

By the way Bill, when you disconnect the big red wire to the old solenoid, be sure you cover and protect the its lead so you don't accidentally ground it on something while you're dismounting the old solenoid and mounting the new one - that heavy wire can carry a lot of amps.  And be careful when removing the nut on the big red wire's post that your wrench handle doesn't swing into an adjacent component.  Then bend the wire out of the way and tape it until you have the electronic unit mounted and are ready to connect the big red wire to its positive post.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:14:12 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Stireman

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
I appreciate the instructions on how to install but have a question.  The existing solenoid has a little jumper wire between the two big stud terminals. (see photo) Should I install that jumper between the studs on the electronic model?

Bill Stireman 40 ft '04 Monterey Laguna
C-9 400 HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
Bill,

In your photo the very large wire on the left that goes to the big stud on the side of the solenoid would indicate that it is the 12 V feed. That wire would be connected to the + stud on the Cole Hersee along with the other large gauge wire going to the copper buss. The two wires on the other large stud on the opposite side of the solenoid would go to the - stud on the Cole Hersee. The buss on the left would be powered all the time by the way it is wired and the buss on the right gets powered with the ignition on. This is the high side switching configuration.

The jumper on the small terminals is the protection diode. By the way the diode is marked the +12v terminal is on the left and that wire would be connected to the 12V red wire on the Cole Hersee. The wire on the small right terminal would be connected to the black wire on the Cole Hersee. The diode was there to short out an inductive kick back when the magnetic field in the solenoid collapsed when you removed the power by turning off the ignition. Momentarily the solenoid becomes an uncontrolled voltage generator and the spikes are destructive to electronics. The solid state version has no magnetized wire coil and therefor no inductive kick back is generated. You can remove the diode when you install the Cole Hersee solid state device.

For those of us that might have this fail on the road you could premake a jumper with the right lugs or drill a piece of copper buss that would connect between the buss screw terminals with the large red solenoid wires on them to tie the two busses together just as the solenoid does. Gerald has covered this option in the past as a temporary measure I believe.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:29:37 PM by 910 »

Bill Stireman

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
Thanks Ed.

Bill Stireman

Edward Buker

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 05:24:09 AM »
Bill,

Your welcome, have some fun with the project.

Later Ed