Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 11443 times)

Rod

Shocks
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
05 monterey 40 Has anyone else haveing problems with their Bilsteins failing. I recently replaced a rear shock (lost seal and Oil ). After discussion with tech's found that the shocks are only lasting between 25 and 30K. The coach is starting to bounce of the dips.I always thought that bilstein made a better product. seem's to me they are junk. I am looking at FSD Koni. I would like your input.

Gerald Farris

Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:04:25 AM »
I have a 2000 Marquis with 80,000+ miles on it and the factory Bilstein shocks have performed very well with no problems.

Gerald
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:06:50 AM by 235 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
We had one of 4 fail and sent it to Bilstein and they replaced it at no charge as they have a lifetime warranty.

Tim Westman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:45:51 AM »
I didn't have any "failures" of the Bilsteins on my 40 foot '05 Monterey but I was disappointed in their performance.  I was getting more bounce and roll after 38k miles than I thought I should.  I've replaced them with 6 Koni FSD's and, after the first 8k miles, cannot believe the difference in the ride.  I more than happy with the decision to replace my Bilsteins with the Koni's.

Tim

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
I also did not have a shock failure on my 40 ft 2006 Monterey, but at 21,000 miles I replaced the front shocks with Koni FSD's.  I am now at 26,000 mi and the the ride is greatly improved.  The rear shocks will be replaced shortly.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:53 AM »
Bilsteins have been on all my coaches for the last 20 years.  They have always been satisfactory, and none have ever failed.

Larry

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
We put Koni's on all four corners due to handling issues at 23,000 miles.  The 2000, 40',  Patriot had been sitting for two years.  Upon our purchase we had the worst handling vehicle I had ever had the displeasure of driving.  I thought we had made one expensive mistake.  Went to a very reliable independent garage and he drove it, (Statkus Motors, Alb NM).  Upon returning he suggested new shocks, specifically Koni's.  He speculated the shock failure was due to the seals drying out from no use.  Makes sense.  He also indicated the Koni's were better due to a larger diameter and construction.  I don't know, but the handling did improve along with sorting out air pressures and alignment.  
Phil    

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 07:23:15 AM »
I have at least one Bilstein leaking big time, left a large spot on the road in front of the house.  Others have evidence of some leak. I also have some bounce issues especially in the rear that I have never been able to figure out and some "clunking" (technical term, chuckle!) in the front.   I have decided to replace all 8 with Koni FSD shocks at Indio.  1998 Marquis, Magnum chassis.  I'll let you know how things work out.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
Jerry the "Clunk" in the front end could be the suspension arm bushings About 6 total and replaceable for under $2000.00. I know personally on our 97 Patrit.

George H. Wall

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 04:54:43 AM »
I have a 2002 Patriot Magnum Chasis that made 3 trips to Alaska. After replacing all 8 shocks with KONIs, it handles and rides like a NEW coach should. It was the best money I ever spent!!  Henry Wall :)

Huyck, Van

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
I have a 36 foot 05 Monterey.  It was unblievably bouncy from the first day I drove it.  I thought it was just a function of the short wheel base.  I just had the four stock shocks replaced with the KONI's at the Perry FMCA Convention.  I absolutely couldn't believe the difference.  I don't know if the original shocks were defective, but the KONI's were well worth the change.  I literally dreaded bridges on interstates because I would frequently bounce all the way across.  Now with the Koni's I bounce once (not as voilently) and smooth right out.  Can't recommend KONI's highly enough.  Van Huyck