Author Topic: Water Filter Replacement  (Read 5583 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Water Filter Replacement
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
I have researched the various threads regarding water filters and low pressure and have obtained a lot of good information.  However, I have not found the answer to the problem I presently have with my water system.  I have a recently acquired 06 Patriot Thunder and I decided that it would be wise to replace the two water filters, not because of a particular low pressure issue but because I didn't know when they had last been replaced and on inspection found at least the sediment filter to be very discolored.  
The filters were factory installed and are located behind the access panel in the water bay.  When I removed the old filters, there was nothing on them that identified either the manufacturer or any part number reference.  Therefore, I made a selection of two filters from Watts, part number 560088, found on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XISS38/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02
At the same time I also replaced the filter for the ice maker.  After installation, I have experienced very poor water flow from all sinks by both the water pump and the city water connection singularly or together.  I have inspected the screens and found them clean.  I have two specific questions:
1.     Does the type of filter used make a difference in water pressure/flow.  I believe that the old carbon filter was a carbon impregnated type similar to this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-D-10A-Replacement-Cartridge-Carbon-Impregnated/dp/B000BQL9GC/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1355682322&sr=1-2&keywords=carbon+water+filter+cartridge.  The new one I used is a carbon block which may have a much greater restriction than a loose carbon type, but I’m not sure.
2.     If you run the water pump while attached to city water, are you using water from the tank or somehow just increasing the flow from the hose?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Wayne Tull

Re: Water Filter Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
I couldn't find the exact flow rate for that 1 micron filter, but it looks like that would be for drinking water not general water usage. Maybe a flow rate of 2-4 gpm since a similar 20" long filter was 2-8 gpm.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
On my 06 Thunder I just used the generic filters from camper world I did also clean a in line filter that is near the hose reel ( in the tank bay) this had a lot of plastic in the screen from the original installation.

You may want to also check the screens on the faucets they may have build up but if they didn't give you a problem before they should be OK

I dated my filters and plan to change them out in January of each year.  I did used 1 carbon block and one paper style filter I also did look for the Watts filters but decided to go for the more generic they have been doing a good job.

If you have a problem let me know I did keep the part numbers for this years change. I am not at the coach but will be latter this week as we head south for the winter.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
I don't like to use carbon filters if I'm filling the tank.  My theory is that good city water, with what is in it to keep families healthy, is good for keeping the water in my tank healthy.  If it tastes bad, I have installed an under the sink carbon filter that uses 3M Filtrete cartridges from Lowes or Amazon.  The 3M filters come in two versions.  One has good flow.  The other weakens the flow but will trap critters like giardia.

This one catches critters:  http://www.amazon.com/3M-Filtrete-Under-Sink-Filtration-3US-PS01/dp/B001DVW0PI/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1355693669&sr=1-4&keywords=3m+filtrete+water+filter

This one is cheaper and has better flow: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Filtrete-Under-Sink-Filtration-3US-AS01/dp/B001DVWAVW/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1355693669&sr=1-5&keywords=3m+filtrete+water+filter  Replacement cartridges are about $20.  I use them in the condo too because our city water has lots of chlorine and a little too much magnesium making it a bit bitter.  

If I am on an extended stay put in a park with water that does not taste good, I do put a cheap WalMart, Lowes or Home Depot generic carbon filter in the line at the park spigot.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:41 PM »
I have been back out to the coach to check a few other things related to my water issue.  First, Wayne thanks for your reply.  When I ordered the original replacement filter I misread the description and didn’t realize that although the sediment was 5 micron, the carbon block was just 1 micron.  That may be my problem.  I’m thinking that the carbon block filter I installed may work OK for a home system but may be too restrictive for the coach system.  I think what I need is more like a 5 micron carbon impregnated cellulose type filter.
Jerry, a model or part number for the filters you used would be great, thanks.
Also, my fresh water pump is not working right now.  This happened previously when I first installed the new filters and I checked to make sure I had power to the pump, which I did.  I thought that maybe it had overheated and let it stand for some time but still didn’t work.  I then proceeded to remove the four screws at the top of the unit into which two wires enter the pump.  Before removing them entirely, the pump started working.  That was yesterday.  Today, when I turned the water pump on, nothing.  I again tried to loosen the four screws and all that happened was that water started to leak from the unit.  Again, the screws I am talking about appear to attach the wiring piece to the pump.  Not sure if water should be in the pump at this location.  Previous to changing the filters, I had no problems with my pump.  I’m thinking that the restrictions placed on it by the 1 micron filter may have overheated the pump.  I pump is an RV Aquajet II, model 55-AQUATEC-ORV.  I did find the manufacture date of 06/28/08, which tells me that the previous owner must have replaced it at some time, considering the coach is a 06.  
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Brad Burgess

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:51 AM »
Hello Norm

I can't comment on your faucet screens and pump but I can tell you that a one micron filter will plug and dramatically deplete your gpm flow  VERY quickly.  It will do a great job of filtering but maybe too great.  I learned this while salt water boating in Alaska and taking on city water, even in the "large" cities.  Five micron will also plug and reduce flow very quickly.  Without getting into a discussion of how much particulate filtering that you want to do, my usage starts with a ten micron particulate filter.  I also have a Seagull NSF certified filter with its own spigot at the galley sink for drinking and coffee water - no flow problems anywhere.  Also, check the screen pre-filter located just before the pump.

Kindest Regards,
Brad Burgess
06 Monterey

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:03:07 AM »
"Jerry, a model or part number for the filters you used would be great, thanks."
The majority of these filters are a generic size.  Go to the nearest Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware and buy an inexpensive cartridge.  There should be a selection of four or five types, including a carbon filter for removing chlorine.

PS:  I'm not Jerry, but I know him!