Author Topic: Xantrex 2000 doesn't acknowledge AC input  (Read 12494 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

Xantrex 2000 doesn't acknowledge AC input
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
Arrived at a RV Park here in Joshua Tree and the Xantrex won't acknowledge the 50A input. I tested the voltage at the "newer" pedestals and everything is around 120 VAC and no wiring issues.  The on board surge guard protector receives the power -tested input and output good. Both Surge Guard relays operational when plugged in or when generator is started. I've tried a 30A service as well- different adaptors-same result. I've "reset" the Xantrex 15 different times which in the pastvhas always resolved any weird issues. I suspect the switching circuit died internal to the Xantrex but was wondering if I'm missing something here? The inverter is working properly- I have a battery charger hooked up for now...

Craig Rollins

Re: Xantrex 2000 doesn't acknowledge AC input
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Larry, I had a similar problem last year with ours. Is the RS2000 throwing any fault codes to the Xantrex System Control Panel?

Here is the old thread from my problems last year: http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1316355029/s-0/highlight-Xantrex/#num0

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »
Hi Craig, I read about your journey, wow! no fault codes here so I'm suspecting a pcb failure. Strange.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
Have you crawled up into the pass through bay and checked the circuit breakers located on the RS2000 itself. If my memory serves me correctly they are on the side of the inverter facing the passenger side of the coach.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »
Craig, I've been in the pass thru bay upside down looking at all sides of the RS2000 and don't see any circuit breakers. I also looked at a manual and it makes no mention of a circuit breaker but I'll keep investigating...

Craig Rollins

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
I'm sorry Larry, I got confused. My SW3000 has breakers on the side of it and I vaguely remembered resetting something on the RS2000 when I was having my own issues. Rereading your original post I see that you reset the RS2000 15 times and I assume that you did that using the reset button on the front panel of the unit itself.

At the point that it was determined that our RS2000 needed to be replaced I had removed the front panel and measured both the input AC from the ATS and the output AC going to the Load Center (Breaker Panel) in the bathroom with my VOM. We had current coming into the RS2000 but nothing coming out of it. It was at that point we decided to replace the RS2000.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
good idea, I'll pull that panel and check voltages there too. What is so baffling is that the AC pass-thru circuit would be damaged. I thought I read you replaced your RS2000 with a SW3000 and it was a compatible replacement?

Craig Rollins

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
Yes, we did replace ours with the SW3000. Originally Xantrex told us that the SW2000 was the direct replacement for the RS2000 but that didn't turn out to be true. When the tech installed the SW2000 he had it all bolted up in the bay, had all the wires hooked up and the last thing he had to hook up was the network  data cable from the Xantrex System Control Panel. When he went to hook it he discovered that the SW2000 had no accommodation for it. This caused us to upgrade to the SW3000. The SW3000 is fine and seems able to handle anything we throw at it.

Some folks have been replacing Xantrex units with Magnum Energy Inverter/Chargers too. Either way you want to ensure the replacement is a Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger.

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
This is not conventional but if you found that the inverter will invert and the charger portion works but the relay circuit will not switch over it would seem possible that you could take a 30amp auto switching external box used normally for a generator change over and use it to do the inverter switching. You would wire it so that what was normally used as the generator 120v input is now used for the 30 amp 120v house power side input. The normal house input side would come from the inverter 120v power out. The ouput side of this switching box would feed the 30amp out circuit to the coach. The logic would be that the generator power has priority and switches over after 30 seconds or so and when the house power side is not powered it would switch back over to the inverter side. If you power up from a campground feed in 30 seconds it would connect the circuits that normally rin off the inverter. You would leave the inverter AC input in tact so the charger would work.

This is not conventional but should work basically replacing the fast acting change over circuit and relays within the Xantrex. I'm not sure if you have good wiring access and capability to wire ths feature onto the Xantrex in a safe way. You would need to examine if that is possible if you plan on going down the $200 path rather than the $2000 dollar one. Thought I would pass along this option in case you were feeling spirit of adventure....

Later Ed

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »
Guys, just out of nowhere the charger has become active and is now supplying shore power through the Xantrex. I have done nothing since yesterday so no new variables here. Don't know why or how reliable this will be in the future...I like Ed's idea however my brain is having trouble processing it completely. A schematic would be great if at all possible  :)

Craig Rollins

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:54:03 AM »
Ha! Gremlins!  ;)

George H. Wall

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Mine died, then came back to life, only for a short period of time!!  I then replaced with a new  Magnum. BE VIGILENT FOR A WHILE!!  Henry

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:49:41 AM »
What is the Magnum model number that uses the same data cable, etc. of the Xantrex?  

Thanks.

Bill

Quote from: Craig Rollins
Yes, we did replace ours with the SW3000. Originally Xantrex told us that the SW2000 was the direct replacement for the RS2000 but that didn't turn out to be true. When the tech installed the SW2000 he had it all bolted up in the bay, had all the wires hooked up and the last thing he had to hook up was the network  data cable from the Xantrex System Control Panel. When he went to hook it he discovered that the SW2000 had no accommodation for it. This caused us to upgrade to the SW3000. The SW3000 is fine and seems able to handle anything we throw at it.

Some folks have been replacing Xantrex units with Magnum Energy Inverter/Chargers too. Either way you want to ensure the replacement is a Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:04 AM »
Quote from: Bill Jourdain
What is the Magnum model number that uses the same data cable, etc. of the Xantrex?  

Thanks.

Bill

To be honest, I'm not sure which Magnum model would be a direct replacement for the Xantrex. My understanding is that at least one of the Magnum Energy inverter/chargers is a bolt in replacement for the Xantrex RS2000. I think if you contact Magnum Energy they'll be able to tell you.

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
Thanks.  I have an 11 year old Xantrex ProSine 2.0 in my coach.  It is working, but lately I have had it shut down with errors a few times, leading me to believe it may be getting ready to fail.  When the time comes, I'll check with Magnum and see what they suggest.

Thanks.

Bill

Quote from: Craig Rollins

To be honest, I'm not sure which Magnum model would be a direct replacement for the Xantrex. My understanding is that at least one of the Magnum Energy inverter/chargers is a bolt in replacement for the Xantrex RS2000. I think if you contact Magnum Energy they'll be able to tell you.