Author Topic: Missing Fuel Caps  (Read 9545 times)

barbhalsell

Missing Fuel Caps
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
We have had the Beav parked for a few months in an RV park. We decided to add a few gallons of fuel because we have used the Hurricane off and on. Went to pour the diesel in and discovered we are missing both fuel caps. Not sure how or when it happened. Anyway, anyone know a part number or source for the cap that fits our 2000 Patriot?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Missing Fuel Caps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:55 AM »
Try Auto Zone, part# 6817.

Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Soooo... why would someone be fooling around with your fuel caps?  Perhaps to steal them?  Just pranksters?  Or, is it possible someone doesn't like you/us because we drive these fuel guzzling, big, fat motorhomes?  This reminds me of the fellow along the road pushing his bike near Eugene on the McKenzie Pass hiway who flipped me off as I passed by - flipped me off for no apparent reason.  He looked very much like one of the "1%-ers."  Did you check to see if something noxious to your fuel or engine was put in?  Just wondering.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
Well....it is possible that back in July when we were bringing the Beav down from Idaho to CA, that they were left on top of the pump at last fuel stop in Winnemucca. We were a little harried. We were having overheat problems along with it being the first trip with this rig. Other than someone trying to siphon fuel, there doesn't seem to be another explanation. :-/
Thanks for the part number Steve!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
However the loss, they've likely been missing awhile.  I'd keep an eye out for telltale debris in the fuel filter bowl, after you've been on the road again awhile, and maybe add some algicide.  The fuel has had more exposure to air than usual, with the caps gone, and more moisture as a consequence.  It sounds like you didn't top off the tank before parking it, and the accessories drew down the fuel, so there was room for condensate to form on interior tank walls.  As you know, the water gathers at the bottom where algae can grow at the interface.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »
Thanks Joel, good advice. It has been sitting here since last July!

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »
I put Joel's advice to work too.  I purchased a jug of Fuel Shock - made for treating diesel to kill bacteria and algae.  $22.32 for a pint jug, but 1 ounce treats 120 gallons.  The whole pint will treat 1,920 gallons.  In the course of trying to find the treatment I went to Bi-Mart and AutoZone.  Neither had any algicide.  I found it at one of our diesel distributors.  A guy I ran into at AutoZone said he helped a farmer on the freeway recently whose diesel pickup had quit... after not driving it for nearly a year.  It was plugged up with stuff that had grown in the diesel and plugged the fuel filter.  I should have enough treatment in this one jug for years, eh?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:25 AM »
Many farm stores sell Power Service Corp. products such as Bio Kleen or Diesel Kleen.  What I couldn't find at True Value or Ace or Coastal, I ordered from the great staff at Power Service.  Both products worked great for a coach parked for over 3 years.

http://www.powerservice.com/default.asp

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
Most Tractor Supply stores carry this.  I've seen it at our local store.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
Biocides are readily available at marine supply stores, as one might expect.  CAT recommends Biobor JF or equivalent. http://catoilandgas.cat.com/cda/files/1823203/7/PEHJ0241.pdf

Randy Perry

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
I must admit I've left a fuel cap or two over the years sitting on the pump! But if your coach is anything like mine in regards to the filler hose from cap to tank, I don't think even the craftiest would be able to fish a siphon hose down the filler hose due to the 90 degree bends in it!!

Also makes it hard to fill with the large nozzles at the truck stops  :-/

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:22:53 AM »
Randy - Yes, I found that out too.  I have been unable to open up the fuel nozzles to full flow because of those turns in the piping between the tank and filling port.  Soooo, I stand there holding the nozzle up to a more verticle position.  Then I can run the nozzle at near full flow.  Even the smaller nozzles at car and pickup pumps will not operate in their wide open, full flow position without being held up to the verticle position.  My fuel port's locking door has a spot on the inside of door to hold the fuel cap.  Thus, assuming I put the cap in the holder while fueling, I should never forget to replace it - ya' think?  As you point out, those bends in the piping would at least stop a quick theft by siphoning - I hope!  That stuff is too damn expensive to be giving it away... or spilling it either, for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:24:29 AM by 9124 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:43:47 AM »
I have found that if I fuel from the passenger side it works fine.  Driver side requires slow flow.

I also open up the the other side for venting.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
I rarely set my caps anywhere but in the fuel port well.  It stays put fairly well.  Setting it on the fuel island pad or pump is too good a way to drive off without it.  Jack and Barb must've been using a satellite pump setup to lose both caps?  Like others here, our coach can't take one full-flow nozzle, much less two.

I wonder if a person couldn't drill a hole through one corner of the cap handle, run one end of a cord (stainless, plastic, or fiber) with a loop knot in one end, through the loop knot and then through the cap's new hole and tie a retaining knot in that end so it can't back out of the hole, then drape the formed big loop around the filler neck.  As long as there is no interference with twisting the cap back on the filler neck, it would be a simple cap-keeper wouldn't it?  Just a thought.  If you have an older model cap with a metal wing for grasping, there may be an open space already there to tie a cord or stainless cable wire through, and no drilling a hole.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
The fuel door on mine has a place to out the cap while fueling.  Just turn the cap,and it locks in place until you remove it.