Author Topic: Blue ox  (Read 6078 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Blue ox
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »
I need to rebuild my blue ox tow bar.  Has anyone done this and is their a kit available with all the parts?

I believe it is the aventa II bar.  I think it needs new rubber and bolts etc.

Thanks, this is a new thing for me......

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Blue ox
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:33 AM »
Yes, you can order from Blue Ox a rebuild kit that basically includes all the wearable parts (washers, bolts, lock nuts, and spacers).  You should check to see if you need the "claw" mounts.  They can wear and need to be purchased separately from Blue Ox.  Additionally, the problem I see a lot is the 2" square tubing that goes into the receiver hitch can be worn.  The hole for the pin gets oblong and can cause the whole tow bar to feel loose.  This part can also be purchased separately from Blue Ox.  

The rebuild process is a little tricky for someone that has never done this before or does not have some mechanical experience.  The spacers have to be fitted properly and the correct torque has to be applied to the bolts and lock nuts so that things do not come apart or end up being too tight.  The main bolt that holds everything together has a double lock nut on it and you should disassemble keeping the correct number of lock nuts that are used to reassemble.  Some older models had a spacer instead of the double lock nuts.  Those old models should be updated to the newer double lock nut design.

If you have a Blue Ox dealer in your area, I would consider having him do the rebuild.  All the big FMCA and Good Sam rallies have Blue Ox people there to do this for you at a very nominal charge.  Basically just the cost of the parts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:42:38 AM by 14 »
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »
How do you know when your Blue ox is in need of a rebuild?
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »
I take the easy way out. At least every two years, we attend a large rally somewhere. Blue Ox will have service techs there and you can sign up for a tow bar "maintenance" at the cost of $25.00. They inspect, clean, and replace worn bushings, rubber covers. Takes them about 20 min and they're done. Almost all large FMCA regional rallies have them.

Just an idea.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
When the tow bar gets loose, you can tighten the bolts, but at some point the spacers and washers get worn.  At this point they need to be replaced as well as the possible out of roundness in the "claws" and receiver/pin section.  IMHO the best thing is to check for looseness every year and rebuild every three years.  Another thing to consider is do not over lubricate the parts on the tow bar.  The slide cylinders do need to be cleaned and lubricated regularly, but the washers and spacers do not...  Just a light coating on the metal to prevent rust.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
I have a Blue Ox Alladin which was an Aluminum design. The aluminum design is a little more prone to wear given some of the wear points are softer metal, so if you have an aluminum tow bar pay a little more attention. I brought my bar into an FMCA rally this summer and for a nominal fee  ($25) Blue Ox folks did a lube and rebuild. They cleaned, examined, and adjusted the pop up latching mechanisms. I have replaced worn parts myself but have not payed much attention to these latches so I highly endorse linking up with them at some point and let them take a look. The rebuild kit does not have latch parts in it but service may also be needed there. All bolts and spacers at key coupling points were cleaned, changed, and lubed where appropriate.....well worth it.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:16:05 PM by 910 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
I got a reply from blue ox and they said ship it to them and for a $100 dollars they would rebuild.  I have to pay shipping both ways......

Seems kinda pricey when they do it at rallies for $25 so some of you have said.  Mine is the steel version not sure of the model.

Anyway it appears that I will become a blue ox mechanic in the next few weeks.  Nothing is wrong as far as I can tell but want to make sure it's up to speed.

Would love to attend some rallies but not yet retired and do not have the time.  

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
Tom, if your Blue OX hitch can last until March of 2014 there is a big FMCA convention in Perry, GA.  Blue Ox is definitely there.  If you can get away for 3 -4 days during the time of the convention you could take in some technical seminars and experience what rally life is all about.  Also, if your stinger bar (the bar that goes into your receiver) is sloppy they will request that it be replaced.  On our Roadmaster bar the cost of the stinger was $125.00  Some people have purchased those 2" u-bolts and bolted the stinger to the receiver thus taking away the sloppiness that happens and makes the bar act as one solid piece.  Good luck and hope that dirty word that starts with W isn't around too much longer.  Looking forward to meeting you down the road.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »
Thanks Mandy for the info.  I will try and make that rally. Wanted to attend the earlier Rally at perry but could not get a space.

My concern is only a look see so it does not become an issue.