Author Topic: Change-Out Front TV  (Read 10104 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Change-Out Front TV
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
I started a previous thread regarding the need for a analog to digital converter box for our Sharp TV on an '06 Thunder.  We have decided to replace this analog set with a new LED smart TV.  In addition, our other components include a Sony reciever/DVD/VCR.  This unit is where all our surround sound speakers are connected,  My concern is if I replace only the TV, I will have to use the small speakers on the TV and I want to use the surround sound speakers when watching the TV,(hope this makes sense).  My question is, has anyone else replaced all these components, including replacing the reciever and if so what did you replace them with?  Any suggestions appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:51:27 AM by 14 »
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Change-Out Front TV
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Yeah, I'd replace the multifunction device too.  If for no other reason than that if you wanted to record something off-air, you'd have to have a doggone converter box just for the receiver, since it probably doesn't have an ATSC tuner in it either.  If on the other hand, the existing Sony receiver has a digital tuner and a free HDMI or audio input for the TV, consider keeping it.

Be careful about mixing brands.  Our new Panasonic Blue Ray player for example has a remote control that can't be programmed to control non-Panasonic (Viera) TVs, the only real disappointment we have in the device, but a real annoyance.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Norm,

Look at what a "Digital Optical Audio Toslink" will do.  http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360159985&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+cable

The back of the new TV and Sony receiver will probably have holes for that small cable.  My Sony receiver from 2004 does.  

The idea is that any audio produced by the TV will go through this cable to the speaker system.  It is audio only, so you won't be able to record on the VCR or play the DVD.

In my upgrade I wanted a Blu-Ray player. Jim Sizemore (rvoutfitters@bendcable.com) at RV Outfitters in Bend suggested a "dumb" HD Samsung TV (that fit in the hole made for my old Sharp ) with a smart Samsung Blu-Ray player.  Smart means it can do streaming Netflix.   I'm pretty sure he used a Toslink to send the sound to the receiver, but he may have used the older RCA jack type wires.  In any case, I can play Blu-Rays to the TV and watch local channels with the antenna while the sound goes through the receiver and all those speakers.  

I'm currently mad at DirecTV and have it on suspension.  I'll either get over it or terminate the account soon.  Jim did hook it up, and for awhile, the DirecTV would feed the TV and the TV would send the audio to the Sony receiver.  

I have also hooked up a TV at our condo with a Blu-Ray player and a Toslink to a sound system.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
Norm, please keep us posted on your progress, we also have the same system up front and I would also like to dump it. I did change the bedroom system 2 years ago to a great vizio 32 HDMI/WIFI/ with a blue ray DVD deck. The picture is much better then the front set plus no converter box.

I would love to pull the sharp unit and the componets on the front set but it's a lot over my knowledge base. If you do change yours please take some photos I think you will also need to run new cable from the front set to the new componets let me know how you do this.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
Norm,
I 'll second Bill's comments on using the Toslink (optical audio) to feed you SS player. I use it in the coach and at our stick house. Purchase the cable on Amazon, the cost at Best Buy or Radio Shack is ridiculous.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

MarcRodstein

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
For great prices on audio/video cables try monoprice.com

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
If you're buying new equipment these days TOSLINK is rather unnecessary in most circumstances.  It was useful when video and audio had to be carried on separate cables.  With the advent of the HDMI standard, both video and audio are combined on a single cable. The system I have installed uses a single HDMI to carry A/V from the DirecTV DVR and the Roku to my receiver/amplifier (for streaming the Roku is a far more flexible device than are most Blu-ray players).  An HDMI from the receiver to the TV takes video to the TV (audio is unnecessary because the receiver has already received it from the DVR or Roku.

The only place I could have a use for TOSLINK would be if I used the TV's tuner to receive over-the-air TV signals.  In that case, a TOSLINK cable would take audio back to the receiver so I don't have to use the TV's speakers.  But since I have DirecTV's add-on over-the-air tuner which integrates with the DVR, this TOSLINK is unnecessary for me since the tuner sends its A/V signals through the DVR.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
If you're buying new equipment these days TOSLINK is rather unnecessary in most circumstances.  
  I think the original question was about trying to find a way to get audio into a Sony Home Theater receiver that is a little older than HD TV, so it probably does not have an HDMI option.