Author Topic: Pinhole in Radiator  (Read 10187 times)

Randy Perry

Pinhole in Radiator
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
I have my coach in for service and the service manager called to mention that I have a very small pinhole in my radiator! He said that he wouldn't recommend using any type of stopleak in the cooling system. I then asked what the fix would be and he said to replace it and threw out a ballpark replacement cost of 4 to $5,000  :-/ I understand that there's going to be a number of labor hours involved to replace it, but has anybody used a stopleak methood without problems?

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

Re: Pinhole in Radiator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »
Randy,

A few years ago my radiator developed a crack on the left top by a brace. I think it was caused either by the horrible I-5 roadway or a frame alignment by a Bend, Or aligment shop. I first noticed it at the Thousand Trails South of Bend *after* the aligment.

I nursed it back to our place (back then) in Lancaster, Ca. I took the coach to a radiator place in Lancaster recommended by the local Cat dealer. I had the radiator cowling removed by a local body shop. The radiator shop removed the radiator, repaired it by replacing a few parts, cleaned it out, reinstalled. Total cost ~$650. Including fluid.

I would see if your local engine repair place could recommend a radiator shop to you.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
Replace a whole radiator for a pin hole... Where is the hole? I know for automotive radiators, I would solder the hole unless the radiator was a sieve...

Randy Perry

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
It's still at the shop having the transmission serviced and a suspension issue addressed, so I'll know more when I get her out of hock. I just told him to take care of the other items and that I would put some gum on the hole and call it good for now  ;) I'll let ya know what I see when I see it! Thanks Phil & Sean

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:48 AM »
Check with several radiator shops first, as they would be in a better position to give you a realistic estimate.  More than likely the shop is taking the easy way out/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:03:04 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:00:15 AM »
Randy,
The only radiators that are normally replaced for a leak are the aluminum ones that Monaco started installing in the 2003 model coaches. Since your coach has a copper radiator, it is normally much cheaper and better to repair it instead of replacing it. Stop leaks usually do not last very long if the radiator failed from corrosion, because the hole will just keep getting bigger unless it is properly repaired, but if it has a pinhole from an impact, stop leak may be a good solution.

Gerald  

Sean Donohue

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:35:57 AM »
I would stay away from that stop leak stuff if possible... A good radiator guy can solder the leak or at least isolate that jacket...

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
In some cases if you can get to the area damaged JB weld might do the trick.  I always have some on the coach and has come in handy many times.  

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »
My radiator developed a small leak several years ago.  I was using a gallon of coolant every 5000 miles.  I talked with several diesel users, some with lots of diesel equipment, and some of them said they use stop leak often for small leaks.  We have had it in our coach now for several years and the leak has stopped.  Much cheaper than a repair, it worked for us.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
Quote from: Tim Bentley Co-Admin
My radiator developed a small leak several years ago.  I was using a gallon of coolant every 5000 miles.  I talked with several diesel users, some with lots of diesel equipment, and some of them said they use stop leak often for small leaks.  We have had it in our coach now for several years and the leak has stopped.  Much cheaper than a repair, it worked for us.

Tim:

Other than slow coolant loss, were there any other signs of the leak you had?  I have a coolant loss rate which is probably similar to what you describe. The engine never overheats; it always runs at a consistent 188 degrees on level.  Every once in a while I toss in some CAT ELC just to make sure I'm not low.

Joel

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
Joel, I don't know if it's applicable or not but when we bought ours BCS found a small readiator leak where a support arm (or somthing) that is welded to the radiator.  They took it to a radiator shop and had it repaired.  I don't know the specifics as it all happened in background and I only found out about what due to a casual mention.  Figure if can happen to one 2000 PT it could happen to others.

Tom Kaye

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:32 AM »
I developed a leak in a coach I owned about 3 years ago and used the stop leak which did stop the leak immediately. I was on the east coast of canada at the time and wanted to get back home which was about 1,500 miles and it lasted all the way back and then some. I had a warranty on the coach which replaced the rad and cost the dealer over 2K but the stop leak stuff worked for me.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
My leak has been sealed by the stop leak for several years now.  I even changed the coolant and did not put additional stop in the tank. The coach did not overhear even with the leaks, but there was a steady loss of coolant until I added the stop leak.

Randy Perry

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:31:38 AM »
Got the coach back today and took a look at my "Pinhole"! It's a real pinhole alright. Seems to just be damp around the fins in maybe an 4" wide by 8" long pattern. Any updated comments on my "Leak" and my best approach on sealing the deal!! Tried to download a (2MB) picture of it but not working?  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »
Randy,
If you are using Windows 7, save the picture to a temp file. Then bring it up in the temp file and select  "picture"on the tool bar. Select "Compress". "Web" is about the best for posting. Save it and it will reduce the size to less than 1M and you'll be able to post it. If you are using XP let me know and I'll send you instructions tomorrow AM.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp