Author Topic: What is it??  (Read 7205 times)

LEAH DRAPER

What is it??
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
There is rectangular container, little bigger than a shoe box in the generator compartment (front gen), driver side, containing a pink colored fluid.  It is not the wiper fluid, but I don't know what it is.  Anyone got an idea?? One would have to be a monkey to get to it.  It is about 1/2 full so wondering whether I need to add something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:38:59 PM by 14 »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: What is it??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:58 AM »
I assume the coolant reservoir for the generator is contained within the generator.  So your "shoebox" is likely not it.  On my first major trip last Fall I lost a small hydraulic line that feeds the hydraulic leveling system.  The reservoir for my coach's leveling system is located between the front-placed generator and door step (that would be about under the entry steps going up into the coach). With the door step down and out there was just enough room to sit on the ground and replace the one-foot long hydraulic line that somehow got a pinhole in it.  While sitting on the ground the fill hole on the top of the reservoir was also easily assessible.  If I remember correctly, on my coach the hydraulic system fluid called for Dextron III, which is actually an automatic transmission fluid... and it's darkish pink in color.  Soooo... that's my guess... the hydraulic leveling system's fluid reservoir.  And the reservoir on my coach was round and not too long (at least that's what the shop mechanic told me).  It took only 1.5 quarts to top it off to full.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:54:38 AM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:24:49 AM »
Hi again David, since we have the same coach , I would say that that has to be the wiper fluid ,unless someone has changed it

Dave

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:35:11 AM »
I don't know... Leah said it's not wiper fluid... so I had ruled that out.

Tim Westman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Leah, I have the same reservoir on my coach and it is the hydraulic reservoir and pump for your two hydraulic slides and generator.

Tim

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Tim
The fluid is somewhat a lightish pink not a dark pink that I had thought hydralic  fluid would be, is that the color of your fluid?
Leah

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »
That begs the question - are all the hydraulics operated from the same reservoir and pump - "the hydraulics" being the two living room slides, the generator slide, and leveling system?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:41:28 AM »
David,
Most coaches have HWH hydraulics to operate the slides. If they also have HWH leveling jacks, the same hydraulic pump and reservoir operates both systems. However if your coach has a Power Gear hydraulic leveling system. it will have a separate hydraulic pump and reservoir for each system, one for the slides and one for the leveling system.

Gerald  

Tim Westman

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Leah,

Sorry I didn't pick up on your color description.  My fluid is definitely not light pink.  Would you like me to send you a picture to make sure we are talking about the same part?

Tim

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
TIM
Lite pink or darker pink....is probably in the eye of the beholder...it is pink.  Thanks for the offer of a picture but we are no doubt talking about the same item.  Mine seems to be about 1/2 full with the slides out.  I'l keep an eye on it.
Thanks.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »
If it is for hydraulics it is probably Dexron III or higher transmission which is almost red or very very dark pink. Hydraulic Oil and Dexron are not compatable.