Author Topic: Shock Replacement  (Read 10392 times)

Randy Perry

Shock Replacement
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:16 AM »
Don't know how many miles I have on my (Bilstein) shocks, but with the "Dolphin Effect" I seem to have, I think it's time! So, what ya recommend? I think I have singles at all four corners (will verify soon) Should I double up? Are there double mount adapters out there for my 2000 Patriot Ticonderoga?

What say ye and thanks for yer help!!

Bill Stireman

Re: Shock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Had same problem with my Bilsteens.  Switched to Koni two years ago.  Solved the problem and I have been very satisfied.

Bill Stireman
'04 41 ft Monterey Laguna
C-9 400 hp Cat
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab tow
wintering in the beautiful Florida Keys

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
Are there choices within the Koni line?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
Randy,
Your 2000 Patriot has 2 shocks for each wheel. The suspension is mounted to a rectangular undercarriage that has a shock and airbag at each corner. There is no way that I know of to double the number of 8 existing shocks. If you want higher control rates from your shocks, change to Koni instead of Bilsteen.

Gerald    

Randy Perry

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
Huh? I've been under the coach and don't recall seeing (2) each on the front! But I've been known to forget what I had for lunch the day before ;) I plan on a trip down under this weekend and see just what I have! Not sure if I recall seeing a steering sabilizer, but I'll look for that as well!!

So the consensus is to go with the Koni's over the Bilstien's?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:27:24 AM »
Randy,
I do not know how long you have owned your coach, but if you were pleased with the way that the coach drove until recently, the less expensive original equipment Bilstein shocks should be an adequate replacement. However, if you have never been happy with the way that the coach drove, you need to use a heavier shock for a replacement such as a Koni or Roadking.  

Gerald

Randy Perry

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
Gerald,
I bought the coach 4-1/2 years ago and the ride has gotten worse, so I might just go with the Bilstein's again. Upon my trip "down under" this morning, I see I have have shocks front and rear of the front axle, but only see (1) shock each side to the back of the rearend! So it looks like I'll only have to buy (6) instead of (8) Not sure what I'll do with all the money I just saved :) Wait, I just spent $3,400 on misc. maintenance and repairs and still need to buy  (2) tires and shocks :-/ never mind!  

Speaking of tires, is there a link to the Monaco National Plan for tires? What about getting tires through FMCA? I was quoted $1,580 for (2) Goodyear G670 275/70R22.5 tires at Camping World yesterday and felt that was steep!!

Thanks,
Randy

Randy Perry

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
Randy,
That's a pretty fair price for the Bilsteins. I replaced mine about 2 yrs ago and paid about the same. 6 shocks is correct, I have the same setup on my 01 Contessa.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Randy Perry

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
Thanks Steve, just placed the order!

Still wondering where to go for best deal a (2) steer tires??

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
For tires, you might want to look at the Hankooks great tires, great pricess.  I put 6 on mine (same size as yours) for 3K including front  balance and alighnment.

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
I recently put 6 Hankook AH12 tires on my coach.  The price was right and they ride great.  I had them all installed and high speed balancing completed for under $3,000 by a local commercial tire dealer.  I'm very pleased so far.

Randy Perry

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »
Well I was wondering if my shocks were the originals and after getting started on the replacement of my second of six, my question was obvious! The first of two clues was the insulating form that was shot on the back side of the steps was all over the top portion of the shock and the second clue was the fact that the top bolt would not come out before hitting the back side of the step preventing the removal of the shock  ??) So off I go to first, get a new cutting wheel for my grinder and then the hardware store to get a new 3/4 x 3-1/2" bolt  :-/ Called the tire shop to confirm when they closed, they said noon, so back to the house to button up the shock replacement project and get over to get two new steer tires! Upon the removal of the tires, it was brought to my attention that both brake rotors are cracked and was quoted around $1400-$1500!  :-/ Gonna have them check the rears Monday when I take it back.

BTW, I finished the shock replacement project with little issues, but when they build the coach around a chassis, they don't seem to care that they make it difficult for maintenance issues down the road  ;)  

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:20:05 AM »
In the Meritor Manual it describes the rotor cracks that are acceptable and those that are not. Basically cracks that do not travel more than 75% of the distance of the width of the rotor face (75% of the wear surface from the outer edge to the center hub area). Smaller random cracks are acceptable and part of normal stress relief due to numerous heating and cooling cycles. There are some width and depth specs for the cracks also. Basically small random cracks are O.K. and large deep or wide cracks are not. Thought I would pass this along to be sure that folks are aware that some amount of cracking within tolerances can be considered a normal wear issue.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:06:57 AM by 910 »

Randy Perry

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 05:28:41 AM »
Thanks Ed, but they're LARGE and DEEP so I figured I'd replace the pads while I was there  :-/