Author Topic: Sliding stairwell cover  (Read 4197 times)

Bill Jourdain

Sliding stairwell cover
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
I need a replacement part for the sliding stairwell cover on our 2002 Monterey. The metal rod that slides in and out has come disconnected from the bottom of the carpeted cover.  The rod still strikes the metal piece that it used to be connected to which closes the cover just fine, but we have to manually retract the cover.  It appears that the threaded end of the rod may have broken off as we cannot find any way to secure it to the  metal piece that remains attached under the cover.  I'm also not sure how to access the mechanism under the floor to add a new rod and whatever other pieces I need to repair this.

My first question is does anyone know where I can get the parts that I need to fix this?  The second question is how do I access the mechanism under the floor to change out the broken rod, etc.?

Thanks.

Bill

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Sliding stairwell cover
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
Bill,
Attached are a couple of photos of the attached rod in my coach. (I'm doing some work on it now so can't fire up to get air pressure to extend the cover). Assuming your '02 is similar to  my '01 Contessa, access to the rear air valve is through an access cover under the carpet. The access cover is located in a metal plate that is mounted above the sub-floor in front of the front console. If you have carpet, you should be able to feel the edge of the plate since it is about .24" higher than the sub floor itself.
Some have indicated that you can access the mechanism from underneath, but I haven't tried, as it looks like one would have to strip off the sprayed insulation that covers this area.  Hopefully others will comment.  Parts-wise, I'd start with BSC or NW RV, once I was sure what needed replacement.
Steve
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:24:28 PM by 14 »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  My coach is being serviced at the moment but I will look at this when I get it back.

Bill

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:30 AM »
Steve's pictures are of my coach.  I would do as he suggests.