Author Topic: AC switch on Hot Water  (Read 3106 times)

Keith Oliver

AC switch on Hot Water
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »
Just FYI.  

Since we bought this Contessa in March 2011, the hot water switch has worked upside down, ie to turn it on, you press the bottom of the switch.  Not a big deal, but odd.
This week, Janet had a cold shower, so I changed over to propane and all was well.  I took the switch apart and put a voltmeter on it, and sure enough, it had now failed completely.  I verified that it had been installed in the correct orientation, so the backwards performance was an early but incomplete failure.  I would have replaced it with a standard household switch, but the RV unit is more compact for attaching proud of the wall, so I went with the same kind.  The clerk cautioned me that I shouldn't expect long life out of that type of switch.  I guess they sell a lot of them.
The replacement is white, which is so much more visible in the back closet where it is hidden away  Another "what were they thinking?" when they chose the dark brown for this application.  Now I am tempted to change out some of the dark outlets for white, as I have trouble plugging anything into the dark ones.  Again, "What were they thinking?" putting in some dark and some white.