Author Topic: Successful DIY Norcold 1200 Icemaker Replacement  (Read 10212 times)

Bill Sprague

Successful DIY Norcold 1200 Icemaker Replacement
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
The ice maker started leaking a while back.  The clue was large chunks of ice in the bin.  

This week it stopped making ice.  Usually defrosting would get it going.  This time, defrosting caused the motor to run continuously.

Lowe's stocks a replacement, branded Whirlpool Model ECKMF94.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_57773-46-ECKMF94_0__?productId=1093235&cm_mmc=search_google-_-Appliances_RTC-_-Whirlpool_ECKMF94-_-eckmf94.  The price is $100.

It is an exact replacement except for two parts that I swapped from the old unit.  There are only six screws and one electrical connection to change it out.

When I got it out, I could see the leak came from a corroded spot near the heating element.  The leak let water get to the electrical parts.  

I never tried to buy one from Norcold, so don't know the price difference.  Lowe's was too convenient.

It was an easy DIY job.

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: Successful DIY Norcold 1200 Icemaker Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »
Good Job!!!!!!! Now that we have installed a UV/filter system for water I might finally try the ice maker.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »
Quote from: John Hennessey
......... I might finally try the ice maker.

Are you replacing a broken one?  Or is it entirely new?

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
So after installation of our UV water sanitation system I decided to tackle the ice maker.  Got a new in line filter, opened up the back panel, checked the water flow, electrical all checked out OK, then took the ice maker out as per the service manual instructions, took it through the room temp test cycle, and everything worked.  Put it back together, let it get back to freezing and no ice.  My wife who thinks anything can be fixed with knocking  it with her hand or other object then proceeds to take the handle of a knife and starts knocking on the thermostat.  Eureka!!! the thing starts working!!!
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Carol Moffett

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
Bill,
   What, exactly, were the 2 parts that you swapped out from your old ice maker to your new ice maker?  I'm looking to do this change out myself as our ice maker is making huge icicles on either side and seriously hampering my ability to remove the food from the freezer!  lol!  I could use all the info I can get!
Thank you!
Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
Quote from: Carol Moffett
Bill,
   What, exactly, were the 2 parts that you swapped out from your old ice maker to your new ice maker?  I'm looking to do this change out myself as our ice maker is making huge icicles on either side and seriously hampering my ability to remove the food from the freezer!  lol!  I could use all the info I can get!
Thank you!
Carol
If you look at the icemaker from the front, there are plastic parts on the right that catch the water that pours out of the feed tube that comes through the back wall.  The new one from Lowes had different plastic parts there than the old one.  I thought about modifying the new one, but decided it would be more reliable to use the old plastic parts.  

It required a full disassembly of the new one to get where I could swap the parts.

All of the working mechanical parts were the same.  

If you don't use much ice and just want to turn off the water to the icemaker, there should be a valve for that.  Mine is near the water pump.

Carol Moffett

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Thank you, Bill!  This should be interesting!   ;D
CAT C-13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
The hardest part for me was getting it in and out of the confined space with my big hands.  The wires are short, but the plug from the Lowes model was an exact fit to the Norcold model.

Carol Moffett

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
Ha ha, yea it is a tight spot for sure!  I inspected mine today and discovered that the plastic is actually broken on on the right side.  Also, the hex head bolts holding it in are rusted to the point of no return and the one that actually looked ok fell right off as soon as I looked at it!  Gaaaar!  Contemplating removing it all together and hooking up a portable unit in the basement, as I don't think the old bolt holes will be usable after removal.  Choices...too many choices!
Thank you for your help!
Carol
CAT C-13