Author Topic: Chassis Weight  (Read 5463 times)

Michael Kauffman

Chassis Weight
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »
[size=14]Hello Everybody, is there anywhere that I can look up chassis weights on my 98' Patriot, 37'.  I don't think that I ever got the exact factory weights for tire inflation.  If I remember right, I put 110# in the fronts and 100# in the rears (I'll write it down this time).  These are Michelin XZA2 Energy 275/70 R22.5.

Thanks, Mike[/size]

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZA2 ENERGY#j-275_70R22_5LRJ

I noticed that these tires are "Made in Spain".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:07:59 PM by 2551 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Chassis Weight
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
Mike,
Do not believe the factory weights. Have the coach weighed with it packed the way that you travel. Preferably at each wheel because most coaches are not evenly balanced from side to side. Then take the highest loaded tire for each axle to calculate your proper inflation.

Gerald    

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:20:39 AM »
Michael: Gerald is right (as usual).  I happen to have the identical coach that you have and have weighted it several times. I always weighed in Oregon on the highway truck scales when the "closed" sign was displayed. You are the only one in there and you can unhook your tow vehicle and weight every tire, every axle, every everything! It is really great. Sunday's are a good time usually.

Anyway, I run 115 in the front and 95 in the the rear duals based on these weights. (We are pack rats so lots of extra weight on board)  We also have the same tires that you have and had Toyo tires prior to the Michelin's.

I happen to think a few extra pounds of tire pressure won't hurt anything except you might get a slightly rougher ride. Our tires always hit the 5 to 6 year date long before tread depth would become an issue. We replace with new tires by years old due to lower mileage that we drive.

After many years of reading BAC tech forum, one thing that I have gleamed from the site is that in those days, Beaver overloaded the front axles period. I have always had to max out the front tire pressures to meet the chart spec's based on actual weights.  The Beaver spec plate (if you want to believe it) is located behind the front driver seat on the outside wall about 2' above the floor.  Hopes this helps.

Larry

Larry Fritz

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
Mike Gerald and Larry are right on.  I know that we have had members that have changed the front axles and tire size due to weight issues.  You really need to get the weight on each axle. Due to our weight, we run 90 on the tag and driver, and 105 on the front.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:42:48 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
We moved the front axle on our 1997 Beaver Patriot to go to a larger tire. Beaver/Magnum actually had a technical data sheet for doing so. The original specification tires were 255/70 R 22.5 and we were able to go to 275/70 R 22.5 tires.

The 275/70 R 22.5 tire was standard on the 1998 Patriot. We had two front tire failures with the original tire size and they ran very hot. We were about 500 lbs over weight on the left front tire but OK by axle weight. That is why weighing each corner is important. The new larger size runs a lot cooler.

We are probably one of the reasons that Toyo does not try to sell to the motorhome market.

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:16 AM »
[size=18]Thanks everybody!!  Very good knowledge on this forum.  Per Larry I'm going to go 115 front and stay at 100 rear.  Thanks again, Mike  ;) [/size]

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:28:25 AM »
I think we all would urge you to get your coach weighed.  IMHO you're probably putting in more pressure than necessary.  We weighed our heavily loaded 40' Thunder and my Michelin dealer calculated that the necessary pressure (on the same size tire) was 108 front and 98 rear (he was a real OCD type, so this was an exact calculation.  In fact I run 110 front and 100 rear, and I'm sure my coach is heavier than yours.  The Michelin guy (big, puffy white dude  ;D) made it very clear that he was almost as opposed to over-pressuring the tires as running them low.