Author Topic: cabinet touch catches  (Read 11688 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
cabinet touch catches
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
Has anyone found a good source for the cabinet latch used by Beaver and Monaco?
I have located a 5 lb and a 10lb latch (44839) but the prices are crazy!

I have also located a part number 70435 from JR Products
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Re: cabinet touch catches
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:09:03 AM »
I too have been doing some research on the latches used in the Beaver products.  I was recently at BCS in Bend for some service work, which resulted in the purchase of a '08 Thunder, and asked what specific latch (3#, 5#, or 10#) was normally used and they said they really didn't know.  They said that the striker plate portion of the latch is what usually fails and that some customers have found success in adding a small screw in the center of this part to reduce the number of failures.  I have also wondered if there might be a latch that others have used that might be less prone to breakage and more cost effective.  I have thought about something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hardware-House-64-4567-Contractor-10-Pack/dp/B002BY9JT6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:07:04 AM »
Manufacturer or distributor other than JR Products is SouthCo or RV Designer Collection H317.  The JR # is 70445 for the large strike, and 70465 for the break-prone light duty.  Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty, though I've not tried to run a claim with JR Products.  I could send them all my broken strikes, but they'd just replace them with identical light duty ones.

Last summer the prices for a 70445 were $5.08 at Tweetys.com, and $3.32 at Easternmarine.com. $5.22 now at Amazon, but they then add $6.17 shipping - an Amazon Prime account might mitigate that asinine shipping;  the thing weighs diddly but they rate it at 2 pounds, go figger.  That's a good part of the problem, no matter where you buy, shipping adds insult.  At one point I saw $1.99 at NW RV Supply in Eugene, but their online catalogue was ambiguous in such a way I could not confirm enough to order, and should have just called them.

Easternmarine.com, eg. Trailer Parts Superstore, can give you 10 large strikes for less than $52 total cost, shipping to the west coast, probably less if you live nearer to Delaware.

Generally, in order to make the fixes that were immediately needed last summer, it was cheaper and quicker in the long run to just go to the nearest Camping World.  But it would be nice to get a more reasonable per each price somewhere, like maybe $1-3.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:46:15 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joe House

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
I ordered the touch catches for my 05 Beaver from Aero-Space Southwest,Inc. located in Phoenix,Az. They get them from SouthCo who they say will not sell to the public. I had to order 30 of the catches to get them. They were .84 cent per catch but then they added a charge for paying with a credit card plus Az. sales tax plus shipping for a total of $39.74 or $1.32 each. There phone no. is 623-582-2779 I talked to a Kevin Earley and the part # is C3-97 Keeper. Joe House

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »
I know you folks with Monaco Beavers are trying to purchase the same latches as you currently have.  But those latches are relatively expensive and my experience with them has been poor with respect to durability.  The latches on my coach are all metal and cost $1.89 each at http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=4538.  There is no way they can break, although occasionally one of the screw caps comes off and the spring and ball bearing fall out.  But at less than $2 each I can afford to have a bag of spares.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »
If you put a spot of Locktight on the screwcap, it will stay put.  

Larry

Carol Moffett

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
We just lost a cabinet full of dishes, due to the screw cap and ball falling out of one of the metal latches, on a tight curve.  I absolutely hate those things!  Have caused me no end of grief.  I am definately going to use lock tite on them!  LOL  We can get them at our local RV parts store but I think they are in the range of 5 bucks or so but what's a girl to do?  I need some extra screws and balls!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »
Quote from: Carol Moffett
We just lost a cabinet full of dishes, due to the screw cap and ball falling out of one of the metal latches, on a tight curve.  I absolutely hate those things!  Have caused me no end of grief.  I am definately going to use lock tite on them!  LOL  We can get them at our local RV parts store but I think they are in the range of 5 bucks or so but what's a girl to do?  I need some extra screws and balls!

I don't have a source for buying just the screws and bearings, but if you look at my previous post, they can be bought for less than $2 apiece online. I doubt, realistically, you can buy the individual parts for any less.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
Same catch is available thru Amazon for $1.08 but I didn't check shipping cost differences. Do a search for JVJ Hardware 06401. Amazon also has a larger version available from Amico.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
Same catch is available thru Amazon for $1.08 but I didn't check shipping cost differences. Do a search for JVJ Hardware 06401. Amazon also has a larger version available from Amico.
Steve

That item on Amazon is actually shipping from a 3rd party and they are quoting $9.99 shipping.  However, using the manufacturer's part number I was able to find a place that sells them for $1.19 each but would only charge $6.99 to ship 10 of them to TX.  Here's the link: http://www.pullsdirect.com/jvj-hardware-06401-raw-solid-brass-tension-catch-from-the-miscellaneous-treatments-collection/p1400407

The only difference I can find between these and the ones I was buying is that these are bright brass and the others matched the "bronzed brass" finish that was on the originals. Since they aren't seen when the doors are closed, IMHO that's not an issue.  Thanks for the tip.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »
Joel,
I just received the  latches from Pulls Direct. While they look the same, you cannot use the individual parts interchangeably with the OEM units. The PD units have longer springs and much shallower set screws with only a thread or 2 on them. Can't apply Lock-Tight on these w/o removing the screw completely.  I ended up replacing the complete latch and keeping the parts of the original for spares. They do fit the original mounting holes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:05 AM »
The latches I had originally purchased are exact replacements for the OEM ones and all parts are interchangeable.  I guess I'll stay with what I have.