Author Topic: Serpentine belt  (Read 23959 times)

Mike.Way

Serpentine belt
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
Hey all, I lost the serpentine belt yesterday and we limped into Kerrville, TX.  We may have to hang around until the parts stores open on Monday.

Does anyone know the required belt for my engine?  It is a c-12 in a '98 Marquis with side radiator.  The only driven items are alternator and AC compressor.  

Thanks in advance,

Mike Way

Gerald Farris

Re: Serpentine belt
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »
Mike,
The part number for the serpentine belt (engine drive belt) on my 2000 Marquis C-12 (probably the same as your 1998) is Dayco 20-9205 or Magnum 0201147.

The belt is not a common part, and you may find it necessary to order it from Beaver Coach Sales in Bend because it probably will not be available locally.

Gerald    

Mike.Way

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »
Thanks Gerald,

I did find a number on the remaining piece.  It was Dayton(?) 20-9612.  Magnum # 0206319.  I hope it is more common.  Hope I can find one as we have to be in Tallhassee, Fl next Friday.

Still searching since most parts stores are not open on Sunday.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:44:38 PM by 51 »

Mike.Way

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
Some additional information.  For some reason the numbers on my broken belt did not match with the numbers that Gerald posted.  No matter, a web search for either number failed to turn up anything.  I decided to RTFM and found the books numbers matched Gerald's.

I also decided to measure the length after I found the belt schematic.  As best as we could, with a stretched nylon rope we got a length of 121.25, counted 8 ribs and measured about 1.10+/- 0.02 inches wide.  That corresponded to a Dayton/Dayco number 508123 and crossed to a Gates number of K081213 (Prd ID 855222932).  No CAT numbers matched the specs.

I am now looking for those numbers or something similar when NAPA opens in the morning.

Mike

As always, your mileage may vary.

Louis and Elise Williams

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:33 AM »
You may want to try a CAT dealer. I needed a new belt earlier this year for my 06 Monterey, ad was told that there was no way that it was a CAT part, but guess what...it was!! The belt was overnighted, so I had it the next day.

David Fischer

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:26 AM »
I have a 1997 Marquis with a C12 and carry a spare and the number on my spare is Napa V Ribbed Belt number 080733.  I have replaced mine a couple of times when I started to see cracks in it.  I too have a side radiator.
Good Luck
David Fischer

Mike.Way

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
All is well.  I went to NAPA this morning and they had the Gates part number from above, $48 later I headed back to the coach and installed it in a few minutes.  Off we went and everything seems okay.

@David, the belt you listed speced to 76? inches.  The one I needed was 121.25 and the Gates belts worked great.
@Louis, when I checked the CAT site, they did not even list a belt of that size.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and the information.  This is a great community.

Mike

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
[size=14]Support our Sponsors[/size]

Beaver Coach Sales and Service
Beaver Motorhome RV Parts and Accessories

Contact at 800-382-2597
http://www.beavercoachsales.com/

Please mention we saw your ad on the BAC Fourm

David Fischer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
I Hike:  I hope the number didn't cause you to much problem.  If I am correct I got the original number off the belt and it compared to a napa number.  I guess our configurations are different.  Glad things worked out.
David

Mike.Way

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:47:03 AM »
I wanted to do a final report on the belt.  Turns out the 1st belt failed because the AC compressor was failing(seizing).  The coach would not start and we were towed into Mustang CAT in EL Campo, TX.  After a little bit head scratching, someone suggested that the belt be removed and everything started right up.  Of course the next task was to try and find an AC compressor.  They couldn't and we were getting late for an event.  So, the compressor was pulled and a shorted belt was rerouted.  We made it back to Florida and we watched the grandson play in his game..  

At this point I am looking for an AC compressor and an alternator (the bearing is failing in that).  We got in last week and I parked the coach to unload; it would not shut off.  No ignition switch position worked and I was forced to use the kill switch in the service bay.  Next task, find an ignition switch.  Looks like a Ford bezel and key.

Mike

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 03:19:12 AM »
I think that your coach uses the ignition switch from a chevrolet truck, but be sure that it is the switch and not the solenoid in the LF electrical bay.

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
You are correct Gerald. The ignition switch is from a 67 Chevrolet pickup truck.  They are available at most NAPA stores.  After my third switch, I found the slide out was not operating because of a bad relay in the L/F electrical bay.  

Larry

Bruce Benson

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
I would take the alternator to a rebuild shop.  They should be able to replace the bearing and make it as good as new for under $200.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
Mike, the problem with your A/C compressor sounds like a bad pulley bearing, which can be replaced in most cases without removing the compressor and having to recharge the system. If the clutch hub turns, but the pulley that the belt runs on will not turn, the pulley bearing is bad and not the compressor.

It can be replaced by removing the clutch (puller and installer required), removing the snap ring and removing the pulley (puller and installer required). Drive out the old bearing, drive in a new one and reinstall.

Most A/C shops will probably do the job for about an hours lobor, or you can do it yourself if you can borrow the pullers from the local parts house.

Gerald

Mike.Way

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
Thanks all for your very helpful comments.  I will do the ac and alternator this week and let everyone know.

Mike