Author Topic: Serpentine belt  (Read 24076 times)

Mike.Way

Re: Serpentine belt
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Greetings, this is the last on the belt and other issues.

The alternator was rebuilt.  New brushes, bearings, regulator and diodes.  The case was blasted and painted.  It is back in and the cost was $250.  Beats the heck out of $550 plus delivery fees.

The A/C compressor was replaced.  I was told that no one rebuilds these due EPA regulations.  Your mileage may vary.  Total cost $385.  The CAT repair shop could only find one in Oregon(?).  There was one in Tampa and delivered at no charge the next day.  Cat was getting me for $680 + overnight air.

The belt went right back on, no problems.  The number was listed above in a earlier post, and I am attaching a scan of the belt configuration for comparison.  

Finally, the board administrator inserted a message into the flow of this, suggesting that the sponsors be supported.  Implying that NAPA and others sources should be denied.  I question that logic.  I do support the board's sponsors, when appropriate.  I bought my coach from one.  I had body work done there even though I had to drive 1200 miles.  But with tight money, $1200 versus $635 is not support, it is charity.  It is easy when you are close to them, but difficult when you are stuck in El Campo, Texas or Clearwater, FL.

Hope my experiences and parts discoveries help.

Mike

Lowell Nash

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 01:00:36 AM »
Serpentine belt solution for a 2000 Patriot Thunder C12 425h.p.  Original belt was a Magnum 0201147 Dayco 20-9205.  This July we went to Napa in South Salem Oregon.  The original belt was manufacture discontinued.  They worked with us and came up with Napa 25 081153 (1 3/32" X 116 1/4" OC Gates).  Cost $52.00 which is $20 less than original belt.  The pointer on the tensioner falls in the middle of the green.  Two thousand miles later and still working perfect.

Lowell Nash

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 01:04:09 AM »
I'm bringing this post up one more time regarding the serpentine belt for our C12s. It was mentioned that the original Dayco20-9205/Magnum 0201147 had been discontinued. I would love to know what the outside circumference is of that PN if anyone has a spare one around.  I think Dayco obsoleted the original PN and the closest length PN was then used....just an educated guess. Not sure the new PN was ever the right length.

My 2002 Cat C12 has a Dayco PN 20-9612/Magnum 0206319 installed and is specified in the manual. The outside circumference is 115  3/8 ". I measured that by laying the belt flat in sections on a table and marking it carefully with a pencil in 10 inch increments assuring it was flat for the segment being measured and then adding in the last shorter segment. My problem is that the C12 tensioner has been a bit out of range on the tight side with my current belt even at its end of life. (showing cracks and feeling brittle). My spare Dayco 20-9612 is also a bit out of range, tight on the tensioner. I'm guessing that the earlier belt PN was a bit longer and that we have the same pulley/component configuration for 2000-2002 C12s (maybe more). I have replaced several idler pulleys for bearing wear and perhaps the extra tension played a role here. You may want to check your tensioner if you are running the original PN belt and see where it falls in the tensioner range. These belts do not stretch.

On the postings above there is discussion about measurements in the 120s but that was done, I believe with no belt on, so it does not help us here. I have ordered a NAPA 25-081153HD which is made by Gates and is the Green Fleetrunner Version which tolerates more heat and has improved materials for hotter running diesels. In the prior post this belt PN without the HD version has been used by some. The HD is also available by Gates with a PN K081153HD.

As mentioned, the outside circumference is 116.27" in both HD and vanilla versons of the NAPA belt. The width is 1.087" 8 rib MicroV. If the original Dayco PN 20-9205 supplied by Gerald was closer to the 116.27", and my tensioner falls more centered in the scale with that length belt, then we should avoid the Dayco PN 20-9612/ Magnum 0206319 that is supplied now because it is too short. I'm assuming others are finding their tensioner are also falling on the tight side with that PN. Comments if you have a chance to check...

The Gates application engineer that I spoke with likes the belt length within +/- 1/8" of OEM to get the tensioner set right for these type belts. He assumes the OEM belt was right to begin with.... So if anyone wants to pull and measure the old PN or has a spare let me know. I will post how my tensioner falls when the new belt is in later this week. FYI the discounted price was $59 for the HD version at NAPA.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:19:22 AM by 910 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Mike,

I posted the part number for the compressor in an earlier post.  I got the compressor from Fleet rite a truck parts distributor.  Remove and install was easy the hard part is to vacum and recharge the system properly.

If you replace the compressor make sure you replace the dryer!

Re installing the belt was a bit of a knuckle buster because of the size of the idler pulley.  You will need a 1/2 drive pull bar and alot of a$$.

Good Luck