Author Topic: Fridge racks kinda rusty  (Read 5583 times)

William Brosam

Fridge racks kinda rusty
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »
hey guys so i got this coach with some fo the fridge racks kinda rusty, was thinking about trying to strip them and have them powder coated or painted. poked aroudn to see if repalcements were cheap but didn't have too much luck finding them.

should i just ignore the rust or fix it what do you guys think?

Dave Cunningham

Re: Fridge racks kinda rusty
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »
Hey William, just delt with the same problem on my Marquis, I was going to order new ones, but then decided to pull them out and paint them, they were a tad rusty on the ends that go into the slots and at the back, just scrubed them down with a red scotchbtight and gave them two coats of a quick drying rust enamel , and they turned out awesome. if you were going to go to the trouble of stripping them and powder coating, I would just buy new ones from Thetford, they are only about $18 bucks each ( I am assuming you have a Norcold, if not you could get them from Dometic )

Dave
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:19:37 PM by 7343 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
Since mine were worn in a few places, not rusty, I tried spray painting but the coverage just wasn't matching the thickness of the original coating.  I was quite happy with a little bottle of white appliance touch up, since it goes on thick and is adequate for touching up just worn spots.  It's more wear resistant than spray paint too.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
Hi William, your idea of powder coating them sound like a good deal find a local shop and let them bundle your shelves with larger run of white it should not cost much but you will have to wait for the shop to run white color. You will end up with a great durable finish. If you have a sand blaster you can do the prep work before you bring them to the shop the shop will still need to etch the shelves but I bet you can get them done for $5 to $10 each.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
most shops will do this for you anyways I like to pit the metal to ensure a great bond of the plastic powder.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13