Author Topic: Serpentine Belt  (Read 3623 times)

Joel Weiss

Serpentine Belt
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
I had my MH serviced for the season yesterday at Holt CAT in San Antonio; overall it was an excellent experience.  One thing worth noting is that it took them nearly 3 hours to locate and have a new serpentine belt delivered when we decided mine was cracked enough to warrant replacement.  I figure that if it took that long in a city the size of SA, then it would be much tougher in small, more remote locations.  I already had a spare which I decided to keep for emergencies since it is a couple of years old, but I suggest that anyone not carrying a spare get one.  Remember, these are not CAT belts since the chassis-builder creates the fitment.

Although I don't know if all Thunders of the same year use the same belt, but mine is a Gates K081153 whose primary fitment is Ford 650/750 trucks of vintage 2000-2001.  I found the following online source which is a bit cheaper than what I paid the CAT dealer:  http://www.theautopartsshop.com/serpentine-belt/gatk081153.html

Speaking of spares, I always carry a spare Racor primary fuel filter; they are easy to get from boating supply sources, but are difficult to find elsewhere.  I do carry a spare CAT fuel filter, also, but those are a lot more common.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Serpentine Belt
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »
Most good parts stores either have one or can get one in a few hours. We clean the old one and seal it in a large zip lock bag. Same as Jerald's spare alternator.

Keith Oliver

Re: Serpentine Belt
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:16:44 AM »
Never had any trouble getting belts, filters, etc at an ordinary automotive parts store.  On the odd occasion they don't have what I want at 10 AM, they have it in by 2 PM.